• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper Options

Rear bumper or front bumper?

I am planing on getting a BPI FAB rear bumper with swingout tire carrier and Shackle tabs.
http://www.bpifab.com/bumper/cherokee_rear.htm
The shackle tabs are a 30 dollar option.

For front I am going to go with a custom 4x4 fabrication winch bumper.
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/front_xj.html
front_xj_1.jpg

Going to get the taperd front bumper though. Getting the full grill guard because we have lots of deer up here and i would like to just spray it off in the morning:farmer:

Can't wait till i can afford to buy it, just have to quit buying Networking hardware!
:geek:
Good luck!

Speed_racer said:
Robs, that front bumper is JUST what i'm looking for!! How much did you give for it?

Also, Can you give me that company's website and/or phone number? THX!!

Try this one........very similar to the one that I built....but I'm not in the bumper building business.
wow_cherokee_bg2.jpg

BPI Fab bumpers

HodgePodge said:
Rear bumper or front bumper?

I am planing on getting a BPI FAB rear bumper with swingout tire carrier and Shackle tabs.
http://www.bpifab.com/bumper/cherokee_rear.htm
The shackle tabs are a 30 dollar option.

For front I am going to go with a custom 4x4 fabrication winch bumper.
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/front_xj.html
front_xj_1.jpg

Going to get the taperd front bumper though. Getting the full grill guard because we have lots of deer up here and i would like to just spray it off in the morning:farmer:

Can't wait till i can afford to buy it, just have to quit buying Networking hardware!
:geek:
Good luck!

I would highly advise against C4x4 front bumper. Mine is couple years old and they might have changed the design, but I have the same one as on Jason's Jeep in the picture and the ends are just not strong enough. I draged it through Rubicon last weekend and both ends are dented, bent up and into the body. Get something that's boxed in, so it has structural rigidity. Also, I don't like how low the winch sits in this bumper.

Look at BPI bumpers instead, they seems to be very solid.

I made my own bumpers out of 3"x5" 3/16"wall tubing and 4"x1/4" barstock and had somebody bend the barstock and weld them up for me. Cost me about $75 for the whole shibang including the steel. (That price does not include the towbar or the $65 arc welder I bought to tack the parts together. Big C-clamps could work just as well.)
15265210.jpg

I cut the holes for the recievers with just a 4" grinder and a metal cutting wheel.
15265351.jpg

Three 1/2" bolts on this side (two go to the steering gearbox) and two 5/8" (in factory punched holes) and one 1/2" on the other side. I didn't even touch the worthless stock front bumper mounting holes.
15265359.jpg

Sticks out a little in the corners, but that can be easily remedied.
27115630.jpg

The rear bumper was done in the same fashion, but I don't know what mounting options are available on a Cherokee.
22091420.jpg

Here's a shot of where the reciever holes are. Very different than a stock style, but it wouldn't be hard to leave more steel sticking out the front and put the holes there. I built my own clevis mount and I'll eventually be building my own removable winch mount, so I went with MAXIMUM pullout resistance! :D
22371238.jpg

I don't think bumpers can get much stronger than this.
Jeep on!
--Pete

My rear bumper was from Bulletproof MFG
Can hold two 2 Jerry Cans and Hi-lift Jack.

7.jpg

With that rear tire carrier you should be able to free up the blind spot caused by the rear view mirror!:D

:D I am tempting to ram someone's car to test my rear bumper's strength :D

Bumper Choices

Depends on what you want to accomplish , how deep your pockets are, is this just for looks or function ?? :D
Starting from the bottom end price wise.
Tomken machine makes front and rear bumpers, both can be had with or without 2" receivers built in, cost around $300 ea plus shipping to florida. They are basic 2x6 no frills, rear can also take a tomken tire carrier.
Sexiest is AEV, 2" receiver, D ring tabs, nice tire carrier with some electrical options for rear light switch, uses a TJ type release. ~$600 complete.
ARB makes a front bumper with built in brush guard and can be had with or without winch model.
Custom 4x4, front and rear, shackle kits for the front, they will also build a rear with a 2" receiver on request, they are a good buy dollar wise.
Bullet Proof though is the most expensive, figure close to a grand with all the options.
Keep in mind you are shipping alot of weight so plan $$ for that cause all those bumpers are made west of the old miss :D

Speed_racer said:
Robs, that front bumper is JUST what i'm looking for!! How much did you give for it?

Also, Can you give me that company's website and/or phone number? THX!!

Hi Speed_racer...

How much did I give??? Well... about $100 for materials... Not counting the welder.. chop saw and other equipment!!! :D :D

The Fab Shop is right in my own little driveway... much to may neighbors delight.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FabShop.jpg

Back