• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92xj with a 98 4.0l motor dies

tj00xj91

NAXJA Forum User
I have exhausted the search engine for similiar symptons to no evail.

Well I have a 92 Xj AW4 with a 98 4.0L.

Sunday while drving with at least a half tank of gas, i was going up a hill on road when the jeep just suddenly died. I roll to the side of the road. Come to a complete stop, prime the fuel pump to build pressure back up and it cranks right up. Then procede to try to drive forward back on the road. It died as soon as I got back on the road. Rolled backwards to get off the road. I get out dont see any fuel leaks. I prime the pump and crank it once again. I decide to back down the hill on the shoulder of the road. The jeep never died. Then at the bottom of the hill i kept backing up on now flat road, thinking im going to try to go forward on the flat surface. I tried and it ran no problems for the 100 feet i tried till the stop sign. Then I tried to go past the stop sign which has a tiny hump in the road like most roads do, and it died trying that tiny incline. Then I backed up once again on the flat road and hit the gas hard and it did fine till the stop sign. Once again died going over the hump in the road! I called my brother to pull me home. I wanted to see if the jeep would idle home so i would have power steering and power brakes. The jeep idled all the way home without dying, I had to go up big hills and never had a problem. I have not tried to drive the jeep since sunday.

Sorry for the long story. Just wanted to explain that it is not out of gas.
Never died in Reverse on any hills.
Never died going in Forward/Reverse on Flat road.
Never died idling going up/down hills in forward.
Only died going forward up hills/inclines.

What do you think?

Suspect # 1 would be the fuel filter. #2 would be the fuel pump. Check the filter, and then check the pump pressure at the fuel rail. #3 would be a serious ignition problem, such as a bad center in the distributor cap, which will often allow you to idle and run gently but die under load. A long shot #4 guess would be the MAP sensor. A bad MAP sensor can sometimes cause your engine to bog or choke with sustained low vacuum, such as when climbing a hill. But I'd expect it to pop and sputter rather than just dropping dead.

Back