• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Squeek

PolishX

NAXJA Forum User
ok , Repalced the serp belt , and had it retightened ... now occasionally like when the jeep was running for a while then gets cold ... When i turn it on it squeels for a little bit like 15-20 seconds or unless i give her some juice then it goes away .... waht gives ?

PolishX said:
ok , Repalced the serp belt , and had it retightened ... now occasionally like when the jeep was running for a while then gets cold ... When i turn it on it squeels for a little bit like 15-20 seconds or unless i give her some juice then it goes away .... waht gives ?
Usually if it does this it means the belt is still not tight enough. After starting, the alternator puts out its maximum charge rate briefly, then settles down as the battery voltage comes back up. You might need to have the belt tightened again, because a new belt will sometimes stretch a little.

It also helps if you make sure that all power-hungry accessories are turned off before you start. Heater fan, wipers, radio, lights, etc. If these come on when you start up they add to the load. It varies with vehicle and circumstances, but some cars will squeal no matter how well adjusted the belts are, if there are a bunch of accessories on when they crank.

Back