• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep Got Broken Into

Tyler_8.25

NAXJA Forum User
First off, this is my first post. I've actually been here for a long time but I always just read the threads and not post up. These forums are great and I've learned a ton from you guys. Anyways, last night when I got home I went to get something out of my Jeep before going inside and the passenger door lock had been pried out and the vent window was smashed in (I guess they couldn't figure out how to pick the lock). They took about 100 CDs, my ipod, and some snowboarding gear. For some reason they left all my stereo equipment and my CB. Basically I just needed to express my frustration to people that understand how much this sucks. But also I'm curious as to what you guys think the easiest way to fix everything is. I'm thinking I will hit up a junkyard for the vent window? As for the lock, I'm guessing I will have to get a locksmith to replace it?

Tyler_8.25 said:
They took about 100 CDs, my ipod, and some snowboarding gear. For some reason they left all my stereo equipment and my CB. Basically I just needed to express my frustration to people that understand how much this sucks.

Okay. First off, I sympathise with your loss. Having had a few cars broken into (and not having had the satisfaction of catching the SOBs in the act), I really feel for you. With that out of the way:

Don't leave s*** that might be attractive to thieves in your vehicle. If you absolutely have to, at least cover it with a blanket or similar so that they at least can't see what it is. XJs are not difficult to break into, and while I don't want to sound like an ass - at least do what you can to minimise the risk.

But also I'm curious as to what you guys think the easiest way to fix everything is.

Hard to say. What's the sum total of the broken parts? I know you mentioned the vent window and a lock; is that all or is there more?

That sucks, i can't people that don't respect other peoples sh$%. if it makes you feel any better a few months ago i was paying a parking meter when i heard my door blow shut on my xj, turns out my keys and cell phone were locked in there! after alot of walking i foun a cop, unfortunately we couldn't break into my jeep. Then the cop called a locksmith- they said they couldn't get to my car for 5 more hours and I had a mandatory meeting in 2. So i just smashed out my back door vent window knowing that I had a spare one on my parts jeep. I forgot that the parts car didn't have tinted back windows. lol so i ended up just going to an autoglass palce the next day.

casm said:
Don't leave s*** that might be attractive to thieves in your vehicle. If you absolutely have to, at least cover it with a blanket or similar so that they at least can't see what it is. XJs are not difficult to break into, and while I don't want to sound like an ass - at least do what you can to minimise the risk.
Yeah I definitely agree with that. For the longest time I always took everything of value out of my car or covered it with something, but after never having any issues with thieves, I guess I just gave up on it, and of course my Jeep gets broken into as soon as I stopped doing that. But I learned my lesson and from now on I am always going to take things of value out of my car.

casm said:
Hard to say. What's the sum total of the broken parts? I know you mentioned the vent window and a lock; is that all or is there more?
I'm pretty sure it is just the lock and the window. They trashed the inside when they were digging around looking for stuff, but I don't think anything got broken.

autocrossxj said:
That sucks, i can't people that don't respect other peoples sh$%. if it makes you feel any better a few months ago i was paying a parking meter when i heard my door blow shut on my xj, turns out my keys and cell phone were locked in there! after alot of walking i foun a cop, unfortunately we couldn't break into my jeep. Then the cop called a locksmith- they said they couldn't get to my car for 5 more hours and I had a mandatory meeting in 2. So i just smashed out my back door vent window knowing that I had a spare one on my parts jeep. I forgot that the parts car didn't have tinted back windows. lol so i ended up just going to an autoglass palce the next day.

haha yeah thats no good... hopefully I can find a replacement window in a junkyard and won't have to take it to an autoglass place.

The vent windows are cheap.....maybe $5-$10, depending on the junkyard. As for the lock, depending on how handy you are, you can take a cylinder from a door in the junkyard, then have a locksmith match your key....then just replace the cylinder. That should be no more than $10-$15 for the locksmith (although you might have to ask around at a number of locksmiths).

I don't even lock my soft top TJ, I can get in from the rear window faster than I can take my keys out of my pocket, find the TJ's key, stick it in and turn it. Unzip rear quarter window, reach thru and flip toggle...done.. not worth someoby slahing my windows...
I leave very little in the XJ, empty it almost every nite. I also carry a spare key in my wallet. I too locked myself out of my S10 once in connecticut on a service call. Finally figured out how to slip the catch on the rear cab slider with a credit card then used one of my tonneau cover cross braces to flip the toggle on the door..

Got lucky once and caught a SOB keying cars in a mall parking lot as he walked down between aisles, he never noticed me till my drivers door hit him front on just as hard as my foot and leg could push it open, twice.... cop saw part of it and came over to investigate, kid was flat out, crying playing poor poor pitiful me and I mentioned look at his can opener key ring and then check out the 8 cars he walked past...they took him and left notes on all the cars... never heard anything.

Go to wally world's auto section and pick up a blinking LED light for $3. drill a hole in the dash above the radio. put it in wire it up and A-holes think you got an alarm.

You can get an alarm under $200 with ignition kill.At least it would have less chance of it stolen beat up and burnt in a field by joy riders.Nothing will stop passer by crack heads from stealing the small stuff.

Mutant_Xj said:
Go to wally world's auto section and pick up a blinking LED light for $3. drill a hole in the dash above the radio. put it in wire it up and A-holes think you got an alarm.

my jeep actually already has an alarm... it doesn't have a blinking light though so that still might be a good idea... but the alarm did go off, but I guess it just didn't scare them bad enough to leave before running off with some of my stuff

Junkies don't think right.My cargo van has been broken into 3 times in the last year.$25,000 of tools and work gear,and all they stole was a cell phone charger,couple multihead screwdrivers,and a pair of sunglasses.:gonnablow

yea man in september that sh@% happend to me... they stole my head unit, my CB radio, and to top it off my backpack with my stupid $100 Ti-83 calculator. BUT they didnt steal my wallet which was sitting in the cupholder or my brothers camera in the center console. Some ppl are just A-holes..i'm still puzzled about the whole thing.

My Cherokee was just broken into yesterday (3 days after my stereo was installed, how convenient), I was wondering if there is any plates available that go around the lock cylinder? All the bastard did was jam a screwdriver into the door right below the lock. Now instead of a broken window, I have $600 damage to the door. ARGHH!!!

Back