• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad water pump '98

mrfoo

NAXJA Forum User
I have 4.0 '98 and my water pump started knocking bad yesterday. I have had to take it a short trip to and from work yesterday and today. On the way home tonight I guess it locked up and my battery voltage dropped to 0 and my temp started rising. Luckily I was 2 minutes from the house. My question is, does anyone know of any way I could get that pump working long enough to drive it to a shop tommorow or is a tow truck in my future?
Also I am not doing this myself because of my limited mechanical knowledge plus I am in college and this is finals week and I am always broke so I have to make the $ count. Any help would be much appreciated.
Daniel

Ok,DO NOT drive the vehicle in this condition,I will repeat,DON'T drive,unless of course you have a lot of money you don't know what to do with.You will ruin the engine,overheating,etc,just tow it,I know it costs money but you will be way ahead:roflmao:

i know you don't have the time, but money wise you could pay some one up to 250 or more to do the work. if you wait till finals are over you can learn to do it yourself for the cost of the water pump around 30 dollars. if you got a manual someone with limited knowledge can do it.

For the next 2 days you have mild weather, takes about 2 hours to do the pump out in a parking lot with basic hand tools and a good razor scraper. A NEW pump, not a rebuilt, is about $50 or so and figure a new fan belt in too, I'd also do the idler while you have it apart.
Like said above, $250 easy at a shop, then add in towing. Your choice.... but don't drive it till it's fixed...

Back