• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock CD Player Question?

SID297 said:
Will a stock XJ CD hu play burned cd-r cds? I know they won't play cd-rws.

Is it an Infinity unit or not? I know I had no problems with CD-Rs in the Infinity, but they absolutely had to be finalised first or wouldn't play.

SID297 said:
It's just the standard cd+cass. It doesn't say infinity on it.

I don't believe mine did either - but if you have the 6-speaker setup, it's an Infinity. What year XJ are we talking about?

SID297 said:
It's a 00. I have the 6 speaker system, but I installed it myself. It originally came with a cass player. I'm trying to but a good working stock one.

I'm not 100% certain, but that unit should work without having to install the factory amp that was part of the Infinity system. According to Google's cache of my original for sale post, I think BillR got it so you may want to check with him for any specifics. As for CD-Rs, again, should be OK as long as they're finalised.

I bought this one but as you can see things didn't work out:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342480

Time for a Wenzeling.

worked in my factory unit while i still had it installed

FWIW there where four different headunits used in the 97+ XJ's. All can be used with the Inifinty amp, or by themselves except for maybe the AM/FM only unit. The three commonly used where the tape/CD changer-5 band EQ, the tape/CD-3band EQ, and the CD-5 band EQ.

Note the CD changer itself was a dealer option, and most did not acually come wit it.

i have two stock CD players. they are identical except on has a small two pin white connector on the back. i dont know what it's for.

the one with the connector plays some CD-R's.

the one without the connector plays any CD-R's i put in it.

they both look just like the unit posted a few posts ago.

Back