• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading a past post about 2001 XJ's and if people have had good luck with them. I read the 4 pages of problems and was amazed at what I was reading. I have a 2001 and have only 2 complaints about the Jeep.

Before I tell you what they are, let me give you some history about my Cherokee. It is, as stated, a 2001 XJ Limited. It started life as a rental car and was wrecked and totaled out, with 4000 miles on it. My friend bought this Jeep to add to the about 100 junk Jeeps he has sitting at his garage. It was hit in the front end hard. He had another 2001 Cherokee sitting there that was hit hard in the rear end. You guessed, he cut the 2 in half and made one. When he was done with it, he gave it to his wife to drive, with only 4000 miles on the odometer. I bought it from him with 66,000 miles on the odometer. A week after I bought it, I put a Rough Country 3 inch lift on it with 255/70/16 tires on it. I ran that lift for about a year, then switched to an RE 3.5 superflex lift and 265/70/16's. The Cherokee runs great, has a ton of power.

I have put a SYE kit, a Tom Wood's driveshaft in the rear, 4* shims on the rear axle, a new front driveshaft from a 5 speed XJ on the front, a new steering stabilizer, and new shocks. All of this was replaced because of the lift NOT because there was anything wrong with any of the stock parts. The only two problems I have had with the Jeep are, The window lock out switch, and the drivers side speaker cutting out. I think I have gotten very lucky seeing how my Jeep is 2 Jeeps welded together!!

I love mine! The stupid window lockout switch is a problem but that is it.

Semper Fi said:
I was reading a past post about 2001 XJ's and if people have had good luck with them. I read the 4 pages of problems and was amazed at what I was reading. I have a 2001 and have only 2 complaints about the Jeep.

Can you post the URL to the thread?

I have to agree, though - the 2001 I used to have was nothing but dead reliable, and the same can be said for the 2000 I've got now. The only real issues: I'm no exception to the power window lockout switch problem everyone seems to have, and the power seat switches are equally picky. Oh, and I think I've got a brkoen speaker wire to the passenger front main speaker. Only have 114,000 on the clock right now (40,000 of which I'm responsible for), but I fully expect it to go to 200,000 without any serious problems.

darjevon said:
Hey there's an easy writeup for shorting out that bastard... i did it on my cherokee. the window lock switch doesn't work but, as long as the windows do, I'm happy.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288655&highlight=door+locks

Seen that. Only problem is, it's working around the issue instead of actually solving it - and I'm generally not keen on that approach in most cases. The fix seems to be to take the switch module apart and clean the contacts; if you've already got the door panel torn down to get at it, you may as well just go the whole hog and do it right.

casm said:
Seen that. Only problem is, it's working around the issue instead of actually solving it - and I'm generally not keen on that approach in most cases. The fix seems to be to take the switch module apart and clean the contacts; if you've already got the door panel torn down to get at it, you may as well just go the whole hog and do it right.

Except it gets dirty again and starts having the same problem. I cleaned mine when I bought it last year and it is acting up already. I don't have any kids (and I don't plan on having any) so I don't care about window locks.

CASM does bring up a valid point...this disables the lock so don't do it if you think you will need them.

by the way I now have 91,000 miles on the Cherokee now and it get's wheeled hard. Here is a pic of the Cherokee the last time I was out. Date on camera is wrong.

shamokinoctober06039_edited.jpg

the speaker issue is that the wire gets stretched in the door jam and will cause connection to go in/out. either open that boot in the door jam and fiddle with the wire, or rewire the speaker itself and you'll be good. if you just adjust it, it will go out again at some point...mine was fine for 6 months and occasionally goes but i'll fix it eventually.

My Jeep has the same problem with both front speakers. Sometimes if you open the door the speaker will work. or when its raining. funny.

A local guy has a 2001....no problems really, I don't know though, he's an asshole.... It's a white Classic. He's a douche and was trying to tell me it was a Grand Cherokee.....I'm like no, you're wrong, and he called me retarded.....sureee!

BTW where did you get those marines stickers? I can use 2......one for my dad's car and one to replace mine, after te tint place nicely cut it up when measuring tint....heh.

Got two 01 and my oldest girl drives a 98. Put a head on one of the 01 and a clutch in the 98. But all the window lockouts work. Would buy a new one in a second no problem.
Had a Olsmobubble that was back in the shop 3 times in the first year. My father Chevy needed a new trany after just 22 weeks and he don't pound on his stuff at all. Sister Toy got a half shaft after 3 years an ALT just after that. Give me a Jeep anytime.

My y2k has been very reliable. But I do have the 2 main problems..speakers and power windows.

I just ran new wire for the speakers, about a 2 hour job, and now they sing fine. I cleaned the main window/lock switch and the plug connectors with contact cleaner and now it works great as well!

No problems to report of, other than the door speaker wiring on the driver door. I'll run new wire if i put a good radio in it anyhow. I guess I should cross my fingers. Only gripe is WTF is up with a LPD30 in the front. I guess I didnt do all my research, nor did I know of this site at the time. It gets wheeled hard since the purchase. Love it....

Same here with my 2000. Nothing except the speaker wire, and the window lock switch. From everything I have gathered 2000 & 01's are identical aside from a color option IIRC.

Back