• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to know about fluids

black2door

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, Im getting ready to change all of my fluids. I know its probably been covered 50bagillion times but I couldnt really find what I wanted. I need to know what you guys use in your stuff that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Like Redline is a lot. If someone could tell me what I could use for my...
> AX-15 Manual Trans
> NP231 T-case
> Rear 8.25 diff
> Front 30 diff

Im pretty sure thats it but if you have something else to add I would appreciate it. THANKS

1997 Cherokee 4.0 :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

I use....

black2door said:
> AX-15 Manual Trans Redline MT90. Don't use anything with API GL5.
> NP231 T-case Dextron 3 ATF, brand of choice.
> Rear 8.25 diff Valvoline 80W-90, again brand of choice.
> Front 30 diff Same as rear.

Now, remember, if you don't use the limited slip addative as required, you may experience problems. If you can find a fluid that is rated GL3, use that. The Redline MT90 is rated GL4, IIRC, but thats what works.(at least for me) Don't go cheap on fluids IMO. To save a few bucks isn't worth the problems in the future. My .02.

I run Mobil-1 engine, AX15, NP231, D30, in the 8.25 I run Drydene with a LS additive but that because the Auburn people say no synthetics with their pro series. The AX gets changed today or tomorrow, going to the Redline as the new mobil-1 is rated GL5 which the two cases of the mobil-1 I bought 4 years ago were rated GL3/4 and I just ran out of the old stuff.
Using Mobil-1 ATF in my transfer case was the most dramatic, shifting from 4hi to 4lo was amazing, no more having to futz with it, get that grinding and bumping, it just shifted.
Anti-freeze, I use either Mopar or Prestone BUT I use DISTILLED water to make up my mix, most supermarkets sell distilled water for a $1 a gallon.

Don't skimp on the lubes unless you want to be buying a new tranny, even the dealer supplied lube for the AX5/15 is $18 a quart :scared:

Redline isn't cheap, but for the AX-15 it's worth it IMO. Goes for $8/qt online, and it's not like you change it every 3K miles. Have to try RichP's advice to run Mobil1 in the transfer case.

black2door said:
Has anyone ever used Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid? Is it any good? THANKS

Like a bunch of us have said, your choices of lube for that AX are very limited. The choices are Dealer OEM, Redline, some say Amsoil but the gallon jug of Amsoil that I have on the shelf and my son used in his AX5 in his YJ says GL5 and as far as I am concerned GL5 on the bottle takes it right out of the acceptable lubes. The GL5 specs call for Sulphur in the mix and sulphur is what eats the sintered bearings or syncro's in ALL the Asin trannys, if it says GL5 DON't USE IT.

Yea gl5 is a no no. Eats the brass synchros. So they say. Just bought mine with 90k. It was prob the orig fluid. I think they put gl5 in from the factory. The owners manuals called for 5. I used redline mtl. For my np231 i used atf+4

Back