• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 question

skog

NAXJA Forum User
what do i need to do to put 8.8 under my XJ? I know they come with discs so how do i convert the bracks over.

thanks
skog

first excellent choice of a axle. I am going to assume in the absence of more detail in your question,that you have,.. or going to purchase the Ford 8.8 axle for the model years of 1995-2003 ,these will be the ones with the those big meaty disc brakes-To quickly address your question about replaceing the brackets,or leaf spring perches ,there is a complete kit available from M.O.R.E. for the more "mechanically-challenged" among us,.. for about a hundred-dollars or so with spring perches and top plates,U-bolts etc..Tons of places carry perches. You'll need D-60 sized ones, which are designed for 3.25" tube. Don't pay more than $20 for a set. Any trailer manufacturer in your area should have a supply of perches. Also Central Four Wheel Drive if you are out West. GLI If you want to save some money and do it yourself( useing 2 1/2" sq.in x 1/4" wall box tube=$14.00 dollars) look for an article called "bullet-proof-spring-perches" out on the net that might provide another more cost-efficient option for you.Do a search here at the NAXJA forum on this subject matter also.For those new shock mounts, there is an additional article by the generous hero of the planet,Alyn Loya, aka MaXJohnson called "Easy Shock Mounts" that can save you more money.Good luck
BILLXJ

Well to kind of clean it up a little bit.

Spring perches, brake lines, and something to attach the yoke to the 8.8.
You can piece the parts from many places, make your own or get the whole kit from M.O.R.E.

You might also want to the check the gear ratio of the new axle to make sure it matches your front. Something else to think about. Juice

to convert the brakes over...e-brake can be done by putting ZJ(w/rear discs) cables in your XJ. Main brake lines, you should be able to use the Ford hard and rubber lines. The rubber line from your xj frame should screw into the rubber line on the 8.8. Just make sure you support it up outta the way because it will be very long. Also on the e-brake, if you're totally cheap or just like to do EVERYTHING yourself, you weld your stock e-brake lever to the ford lever, that's what I've read anyway. I'm going the ZJ cable route myself.
Good luck!

Dale

if i order a sye and drive shaft from Tom Woods, could I order it to fit an 8.8?
How do the rear calipers attach? To the axle? or do I need custom mounts?
What would be a fair price for one with 4.10 's with under 50,000 miles?
so I need spring perches, a ZJ e-brake cable, what about u-bolts and top plate? Are they reusable from the Exploder?

Thanks
skog

.. after you finish cutting/grinding off your old Ford mounts here is a short list of items with prices and sources that you might need if you are going to "refresh" or replace some of those items on the 95-03 Ford 8.8 axle :Brake pads (P/N 6674, AutoZone) =$39.99
Calipers (P/N's C576 &C577, AutoZone)
Guide pins (2 - H15068, AutoZone)
Banjo bolts (Ford P/N 385116-S2)
Hoses (2 - NAPA P/N 380376 & 380528 )=$51.79
E-brake cables (Mopar P/N's 52008904 & 05)
"T" Hose (P/N 380889, NAPA)
2 - Hard Brake Lines(NAPA P/N 813-1208 & 813-1204 )=$6.73
Yoke Adapter (Spicer P/N 2-2-1379, NAPA)
Yoke bolts (Ford P/N N800594-S100)
I forget what the Ford yoke adapter and bolts costs,but your local Ford "stealer-ship" can provide them to you(..take plenty of smelling salt and be prepared for "sticker-shock"..!)
BILLXJ

Doh!!

roXJeepr said:
The rubber line from your xj frame should screw into the rubber line on the 8.8. Just make sure you support it up outta the way because it will be very long.
Dale

I realized this won't work. But the ford rubber line (long one that goes to the "T") will screw onto the xj hard line at the frame. As far as the u-bolt plates go, I'm not sure if you can reuse the Exploder's or not because they didin't come with mine. They're pretty easy to make tho. U-bolts....I saw an RE ad today that listed 3-1/4" x 8" u-bolt kits for $28, I'm calling them tomorrow.
A fair price for a 4.10 unit with under 50k would be between $200 and $400 w/out calipers. Add another $100 w/calipers. I was gonna buy mine without calipers for $250 until I called on prices for calipers. On avg. they were $38 each plus $50core per side. HTH

Dale

BTW- It's not good practice to re-use U-bolts, especially when they come off a Ferd!! :laugh2:

Last edited:
..I would add ,that if you have not already purchased the Ford 8.8 axle,there is another option that you might avail yourself of if you are patience when going though the salvage yards,..you can chose from a number of vehicles model years to get the Ford 8.8 31-spline with disc-brakes.-Here is a short excerpt :
"Explorer Disc swap":
1) you DO NOT need to specifically find an explorer to get the same pieces, Lincoln towncars, Mercury Marquis and Ford Crown Vic's use essentially the same brake setup The difference is that the Fullsize RWD cars use the same caliper and bracket left to right (same as an Explorer left this places the left caliper behind the axle and the right caliper in front of it, but the main effect of this is simply brake cable routing is different.
2)You MUST make a note of the Year of your Disc brake donor (from whatever model) because there are atleast two different types of brake calipers used from '95-01 and they take different brake pads. (though I believe they ALL take the same parking brake shoes and rotors) I'm working on another possible disc brake conversion that MAY bolt right on to the RANGER axle without requiring TIG welding to modify the mounting plates, I'll know if it will actually work in a week or so...I got the explorer hole pattern filled up with a TIG welder and re-drilled the holes for the Ranger pattern. that takes care of the major work then the rest is almost bolt on. A little fiddling with the E-brake cable and new lines on the axle and it was done-
I have forgot whose article/commentary this was but I wish to thank them for their generosity as it allowed me to save a little "moolah".-
..and make to carefully inspect your 8.8 for broken clutch teeth, seals,.etc.- I don't want to cast "bad aspersions" upon our "friends" at the junkyards,..but there can be some really unscrupulous vendors who will/have taken advantage.
Good luck
BILLXJ

cuz the 8.8 is stronger than the 44 and it already has disk brakes!!!!!

stoney

is the limited slip a clutch type or a gear type that from the factory??

how hard is it to weld up the spring perches and shock mounts in the correct locations? also how do you make sure you have the correct angles of the perches and mounts?

thanks
skog

The limited slip is a clutch type.As far as perches/mounts go, just install the axle and set the pinion angle.If your a good welder than just weld them in place,if not just tack them in and remove the axle for welding.

Last edited:
So in the end what do you think it costs (or did it cost you)?

Assuming $500 for the axle with discs.

How much then for "refurbishing" it, an ARB , 4.56s + installation and since I can't do the welding how much do you think it would cost to have all the perches and shocks done?

Grand total $1500 - $2000? More?

Thanks

basalt...I would say you're right in the ballpark. I would guess on the upper end of your guesstimate. I'm sure you could keep it under $2k even with having all the work done if you shop around and get decent deals. If you know someone that can do any of it, that would be a big help.

roxjeepr,.."A fair price for a 4.10 unit with under 50k would be between $200 and $400 w/out calipers. Add another $100 w/calipers."..is about right.But there other economic factors that will raise/lower your costs- Refer to my earlier post for your particular local comparison cost for example.

Back