• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 LEAKING OIL

midnightXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with a 4.0 with 130K and was wondering if it is possible to replace the Front and Rear main seals WITHOIUT pulling the motor. Maybe just by removing the oil pan? PLEASE HELP, she needs it!!!

Thanks

to save you the time of searching. yes it can be done ive perfomed it all you need to do for the front main seal is remove the whole front end, exept air conditioner condenser, and remove radiator then remove the cooling fan, dampener, water pump pulley, and remove the timing chian cover. be sure not to loose any small pieces. i had to pull mine apart and put it back together several times beacuse i kept forgetting parts. then buy a front seal kit and replace the timing chain cover gasket and main seal at the same time.

for the rear main seal remove the oil pan, starter, fly wheel cover(this piece of sheet metal on the front of the tranny) and the rear bearing saddle. drive out the top of the seal with a drift, slide in the new one. and then re assemble it all with lots of silicone sealer. the bearing saddle needs to be torqued to 85# wiht torque wrench and for sealer i suggest permatex black silicone sealer its a bit more expensive but well worth it. you'll need new oil pan gasket as well. should be about $20 at o'rilley or autozone.

p.s fix it soon to limit damage to engine from low oil. threw a rod in mine a couple of weeks ago. (been there done that)

josh

Remove the whole front end? Eh, maybe not, try just jacking it up and see how much room you need to comfortably pull the harmonic balancer. Some folks don't even pull the radiator, but that may not be for you.

YMMV.

Back