• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic tranny downshift q's

Xtreme Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ and i can be going in any gear above 1st and I pull the shifter to the 1-2 gear position, and begin to slow down. when i get to 25 where it finally shifts down to 1st, sometimes it wont downshift to first where it is supposed to be.

I can also be in 1-2 and taking off and it wont rev up to the redline before shifting. can anyone lead me in the right direction? could it just be a tranny flush?

Help me.

I have a 95 XJ and i can be going in any gear above 1st and I pull the shifter to the 1-2 gear position, and begin to slow down. when i get to 25 where it finally shifts down to 1st, sometimes it wont downshift to first where it is supposed to be.

if it's not downshifting to first where it's supposed to be, what is it doing? are you saying it just stays in second as you go slower and slower?

I can also be in 1-2 and taking off and it wont rev up to the redline before shifting. can anyone lead me in the right direction? could it just be a tranny flush?

it wont redline before shifting? what's the problem with that? the usual complaint is that in the 1-2 position you have to bring it near redline to get it to shift into second.

It's unlikely a tranny flush would fix it, the shifting is controlled electronically. It seems that most shifting problems are traced back to a bad TPS, you may want to start there. Have you driven another XJ that shifted how you would expect or is it possible that what it is doing is normal and you just don't like it? (i've never been a fan of how autos choose to shift, hence the manual controllers)

BrettM said:
if it's not downshifting to first where it's supposed to be, what is it doing? are you saying it just stays in second as you go slower and slower?

ya it wont SOMETIMES downshift to first when it is supposed to. Sometimes it will shift sometimes it wont.

BRETTM said:
it wont redline before shifting? what's the problem with that? the usual complaint is that in the 1-2 position you have to bring it near redline to get it to shift into second.

Like it shifts to second like it does when it is in drive. It is just different than what I am used to, I don't know if it is a problem or not.

BRETTM said:
It's unlikely a tranny flush would fix it, the shifting is controlled electronically. It seems that most shifting problems are traced back to a bad TPS, you may want to start there. Have you driven another XJ that shifted how you would expect or is it possible that what it is doing is normal and you just don't like it? (i've never been a fan of how autos choose to shift, hence the manual controllers)

I wonder if it something like pulling a wire loose when i shift to first. I dont know how exactly the tranny works but i was just brainstorming...

Last edited:
Back