• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Post; First Question (AW4 TPS)

XJ-Roz

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start off my saying I DID do a search on this subject and found A LOT of useful info. I have come to the conclusion that my TPS is about to take a sh1t on me. There are a few questions still left unanswered. (after a few hours of research everything seems to run together) Keep in mind I am a NOOB and have alot to learn yet. I just purchased a 92 XJ-4.0L-AW4. I know NOTHING about it exceprt what I read these past fews hours of research.

Anyways, let me set up the scenario. . .

At highway speeds and most "steady" cruising situations it seems like the tranny is searching for a gear. The Jeep accelerates and deccelerates just fine, it doesnt like steady crusing. From all the info I just read I am most certain its the TPS. (this was also my first assumption, but we all know how assumptions go) my questions are as follows:

Which EXACT engine does my Jeep have? Ive spotted the keyword Renix and H.O. I think from what Ive gathered Renix TPS's require adjusting with a DRB II (which I do not have) and the H.O.'s do not. How do I know which TPS to get and will need to purchase a DRB II on top of purchasing a TPS?

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!!

TIA, Jimi

ok u do not have a renix engine management system, if u want to check the TPS for sure, while the engine is idling unplug the TPS and rev the engine, then plug back it back in and u should notice difference, with the TPS plugged in the throttle should be more responsive.

If that is the case am I hurting anything by running the Jeep with the TPS disconnected? Also, is it hurting anything if I run it for a few days til I get a new TPS? My mind doesn't want to accept that constant searching for gears is good for the tranny.

Jimi

when the TPS is broken and doesn't work , the computer goes into default so u can still drive home. I would not drive for a few days with it off on purpose, default mode is to drive very little distance.

Jrosser said:
If that is the case am I hurting anything by running the Jeep with the TPS disconnected? Also, is it hurting anything if I run it for a few days til I get a new TPS? My mind doesn't want to accept that constant searching for gears is good for the tranny.

Jimi

I agree that your symptoms sound like a bad TPS.

If you try running with the TPS disconnected, the tranny is probably not going to shift right at all. Just leave it plugged in until you get a new TPS. If you have a meter, you can check the voltage on the TPS pins as you move the throttle (key-on, engine off) and check that it's changing smoothly.

Minor correction on the Renix setup - the TPS is adjusted by loosening the mounting screws and turning it until the measured voltage on the pins are within spec.

lawsoncl said:
Minor correction on the Renix setup - the TPS is adjusted by loosening the mounting screws and turning it until the measured voltage on the pins are within spec.

I thought I didn't have the Renix control system. .

Another question . .

The TPS isn't going to leave me stranded is it? I hate driving it and thinking something "bad" could happen at any given moment. I bought it for my daily driver. I intend on replacing the TPS in a day or so, hoping thats what my problem is.

Jimi

Jrosser said:
I thought I didn't have the Renix control system. .

You don't. I was just correcting that in case someone else did a search and saw your note about needing a DRB tool.

Jrosser said:
The TPS isn't going to leave me stranded is it?

No. Worst case, it will stumble when you accelerate too fast because it won't see you're pushing the pedal and give it some extra gas. It may shift even worse. The shifting problem could progress to upshfting very quickly becasue it thinks you're not accelerating or sometimes shifting very late it it thinks you've got it floored. I wouldn't worry about it.

-Chris

I have a 91, and when I first got it I pressure washed the motor and the TPS went south, it started to ilde rough and not even 24 hours later it wouldn't shift out of first gear. Once I replaced it, that fixed every thing. So I would think about doing it soon.

just my 2 cents

BRADFORDXJ said:
I was having similar issues with my 96, also when I step on the gas sometimes it fall flat on its face and then starts to accellerate without my moving my foot... Would that be the tps or something else

ya sound like a bad TPS:repair:

Back