• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaping new into old

1999mj

NAXJA Forum User
I am half way into my latest dumb A$$ idea and wanted to see if anyone has attempted it or compleated it before. I got a 88 mj in real nice shape with a blown 2.5 and I also have a 99 XJ with a 4.0 in not so good shape.(a large tree fell on the back half and crushed it) I am swaping the engine,harnass,complete dash and the nose from the XJ to the MJ. Anyone ever attempted this before. If do I would love to see some photos

Can't really help on the engine swap/wiring, but I did the nose swap. However, I used 97+ fenders too, if you don't, you'll have to fill the corners with bondo.
Picture027.jpg

actually along time ago a guy did the same exact thing to the mj he was sellng on ebay and he said it was pretty straight forward

DansGreyMj said:
actually along time ago a guy did the same exact thing to the mj he was sellng on ebay and he said it was pretty straight forward
I remember that, he had the unmatching kick panels and interior trim and the silicon caulk around the door strikers. That was funny as hell.

BigBlackHeep said:
I remember that, he had the unmatching kick panels and interior trim and the silicon caulk around the door strikers. That was funny as hell.

I now that you say that I do remember that one on ebay. It was half ased and half finished if I remember correctly.

I'm using the 99doors,fenders,hood and grill shell. I have the wiring done in it so the engine side of it's not going to be to bad. the only trouble I ran into so far is the dash and steering column mounting. It's completly different from the 99 to the 88. It's possible just time consuming so far. I'll post some pictures up of my progress so far if any ones interested.

1999mj said:
I now that you say that I do remember that one on ebay. It was half ased and half finished if I remember correctly.

I'm using the 99doors,fenders,hood and grill shell. I have the wiring done in it so the engine side of it's not going to be to bad. the only trouble I ran into so far is the dash and steering column mounting. It's completly different from the 99 to the 88. It's possible just time consuming so far. I'll post some pictures up of my progress so far if any ones interested.
Please do, I for one will be interested in seeing it.

That's really coming together nicely man, sure looks a hell of a lot better than the RENIX rat's nest I have under the hood.

Back