• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Fluid Specifications

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 1994 XJ with a AW4 Auto Tranny. I want to drain the pan using the plug that is in it. How much fluid does this drain method get out, and then what kind do I put back in? I am considering going to synthetic, want to keep temps down, and need to get the now "yuchhy" dark and smelly fluid out. Axle Boy over in St. Louis said I would be okay to drain it via the plug and then just refill it and drive it for a while and then repeat as the fluid changes-if it changes. I was told by another source to just flush and refill the entire system. I am on a budget and need this vehicle since it is now my primary mode of transportation, and I also have used it for towing, although I wonder why some idiot didn't put the extra cooler on, and I still haven't added one yet either. Then comes a repeat question-what type of fluid does it require? I know NOT ATF+3, but what about mixing what is still left in the with some of the, um new purple synthetic stuff? I know you don't mix dino and synthetic motor oil, but could I get some advice on all of this? I know I wouldn't be changing all of the fluid, but I want to try and hep prevent failure of the tranny since this could be costly to rebuild, and I don't have funds to do it. I want to get this done here in the next two or three days. Or, should I just drop the pan and change the filter and rest of the fluid at the same time? Could someone out there give some sound advice? Thanks

Jeff

regular dexron III
Don't put synth in, many people have said bad things happened.
If you drain the pan you'll get about 4 quarts of it at a time.
I think total capacity is 10-12. That capacity may be wrong.
It will be easier and more efective to have it flushed via the cooling lines.

I didn't know if that would hurt the tranny leaving some of the old fluid in it or not.

Thanks

Jeff

no, but you'll have to drain the pan multiple times to get all of the old fluid.

Why multiple drainings??

Jeff

If the capacity is 12Qts and you can only drain 4 at a time, then you need to drain at least 4 if not 5 times to get most of the old stuff out since every change is a dilution of new and old.
I think the capacity is 17qts. I thought I could do a whole scale change, in a senior moment, and have way too much in my cabnet.
I also recall a thread a few months ago (6+) about this issue and how many times you needed to change to theoretically clean the whole system. do a search

But if you pull the plug out, theoretically like oil, all of it should come out. Why then would you have to do multiple drainings? Shouldn't it run out like the oil in the engine, that once it is at operating temp, it should all run out? Then explain how to change the fluid and I will try to figure it out.

Jeff

no. when you pull the drain plug you only drain what is in the pan. which is about 4+/- quarts........there are several quarts that stay inside the torque converter, and a good couple quarts that stay in various passages throughout the transmission. plus you also have the fluid that is in the lines and in the transmission cooler.

so if the system holds let's say 14qts (that number is not correct), and you drain 4qts from the pan, then you still have 10qts in the rest of the system. so that's why you need to drain/top off/run/drain/top off/run/drain/top off/run several times. because each time you run it the 4qts of new fluid will get mixed with the 10qts of old fluid.....so everytime you drain/refill you are dilluting the old stuff. after 5 times or so, you will have most off the old fluid out.

the transmission and the engine are 2 completely different beasts...

Thanks Vette

Jeff

To quote Nancy Reagan "just say NO" to synthetic in a AW4.

I put it in my 88 XJ and lost 3 mpg. I used the mobil 1 ATF and it said "exceeded Dextron III requirements" but did not have a certification number on the bottle.

I had a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com and found there was a TSB about ATF fluid. The TSB said to make sure the "cert number" was on the bottle, and only use Dextron with a cert number on the bottle.

With this in mind after 6 months I looked up the material data sheet for the Mobil 1 ATF and there was not cert number listed. That what I took it to a shop I trusted with a ATF transfusion system and had the whole system purged of the 8 quarts of syntheric I had dumped in it. Once I had that done my 3 mpg returned.

Yes, you will have to do multiple drains to get all the fluid changed, it is a math thing. We can all remember our algegra and figure out if we want to work out brains!

Since the AW4 has a drain plug you may want to get in a habit of draining ATF when you change engine oil. You do that for the next 4 or 5 oil changes and you will have the ATF renewed. You could also do changes a few days apart or every weekend for a month to 6 weeks.

You are worried about the ATF in the transmission, do not forget the lube in the axles or the ATF in the transfercase. I still have mobil 1 ATF in the tranfercase and it works great. If you are unsure the age of the lube in these items then spend a few hours and change so you know that age of the lube.

Also I hope you are following all the recommended service intervals for you vehicle. Sit down and read the owner's manual and get your mainteneance up to date if you are unsure when it was last done.

Hey Martin, I don't have an owner's manual or a service manual. The best I got is the freebie Haynes manual I found when I worked at a local parts shop. I have synthetic in the transfer case and front axle. I plan on changing out the rear axle fluid and then everything but the engine and tranny are all synthetic. What are the thoughts on that??

Jeff

First thing tomorrow you call Techauthority at 800-890-4038 and order an owner's manual for your XJ. https://techauthority.gltghosting.c...rHome?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10051

You may also ask them the price of the maintenance manuals and buy them. Techauthority is the Chrysler pub's people, a couple years ago I ordered a new owner's manual for my 88 XJ, so they should have yours. I paid around $10 for the owner's manual and $100 for the shop manuals. I think the new shop manuals are $120 but one repair job done at home will pay for the factory service manual you will order tomorrow.

I run synthetic in the engine, transfercase, axles. I use normal Dextron in the AW4. I went to Mobil 1 in the engine once had changed the valve cover gasket, the oil filter mount gaskets, and oil pan gasket. I figured the engine oil gaskets that would leak have been "renewed." I have a slight drip on the ground with synthetic but is less than it was before the gaskets were changed but I don't even lose a quart over 3,000 miles so it really a problem? Also my drip may just be the valve cover needing to be retightened. I went to synthetic at 134,000 miles on the engine.

I went to synthetic so I'd only have to keep one type of oil at home. I also flushed my cooling system and use Dexcool in my rig for the same reason. I do not want a discussion on use of dexcool, it works for me.

On my 88 XJ you change driveline fluids at 15K if you tow, and 30K if you are in non-towing service. I know that is simplified but your "new" manual which you will order tomorrow will tell you what you need to do.

Thanks Martin, I will try to do that. My engine only has about 30-35k on it anyways so going synthetic is a no brainer.

In the meantime I am going to get started on the fluid change. Any thoughts on the kind of fluid to change(Brand) that has the certification label on it?? Thanks

Jeff

Last edited:
scorpio_vette said:
no. when you pull the drain plug you only drain what is in the pan. which is about 4+/- quarts........there are several quarts that stay inside the torque converter, and a good couple quarts that stay in various passages throughout the transmission. plus you also have the fluid that is in the lines and in the transmission cooler.

How about either removing the pan to check the screen or just draining the pan, pouring in 4 qts, disconnecting a cooler line, starting the engine and keep filling while the transmission keeps pumping the old fluid out.
I did that in my 01WJ and plan to do it in my 96XJ and 99XJ soon.
It replaces all the fluid.

Last edited:
87manche said:
regular dexron III

The service manuals call for DexronIIE/Mercon.
Even the '99 and '00 manuals call for IIE and not III, which is interesting considering that IIE hasn't been around for years. What gives? Do I have my years wrong?

I run Royal Purple Max ATF ( a DEXRONIII equiv) in my 93 AW4. Runs like a champ. I had it flushed with a BG machine and it uses 16 quarts for the flush. Royal Purple can be had in 5 gallon buckets for about $110 or so at Murray's.

Your AW4 will run like new if you flush it with the BG machine. Find a shop that has one!!!.

I was looking at Dextron bottles today in the store for you. The certification number use to be D-3XXX for a dextron III. I noticed the bottle say Rev H and the cert number is a H-XXXXX and since it generally packaged as dextron/mercon it has two numbers H-XXXXX/MOXXXX.

If it has a number like that on the bottle you are good to go, it does not matter if it a name brand or a house brand of the parts store. If I had the choice of a name brand with NO cert number or the house brand with the cert number, I'll go with the house brand.

I did have my 88 XJ flushed with a BG machine at my local jeep dealer then filled with Dextron which came throught the Chrysler quality system. My XJ has been great. I have to agree a flush/transfusion with the BG machine is good money spent. I'd say around 100,000 miles everyone should have it done.

falcon556 said:
The service manuals call for DexronIIE/Mercon.
Even the '99 and '00 manuals call for IIE and not III, which is interesting considering that IIE hasn't been around for years. What gives? Do I have my years wrong?
dexron III is backwards compatible. Since IIE isn't around it's the only choice.

falcon556 said:
How about either removing the pan to check the screen or just draining the pan, pouring in 4 qts, disconnecting a cooler line, starting the engine and keep filling while the transmission keeps pumping the old fluid out.
I did that in my 01WJ and plan to do it in my 96XJ and 99XJ soon.
It replaces all the fluid.

you can do that, but for some people the "drain/refill" method is a little simpler.

I'm confused. BG machine?? Where would I go to ask about this and do any of the chain repair places maybe have this?? Thanks

Jeff

Back