• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bump steer problem

Newbiejeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I have a 99 XJ with 3" of lift and currently stock size tires, DD. I am deciding on an adjustable track bar. The front axle is shifted over to the drivers side slightly. Now my problem is that on the high way doing 55 or faster when I hit big bumps I get bad bump steer which throws me into a death wobble to where I have to slow down to about 30 mph! Scares the hell out of me. Recently it has been wanting to do it at slower speeds.

What would my solutions be? Could putting in a drop pitman arm with the RE HD track bar work? How much of a drop do I need on a drop pitman arm? I know I have to drop the track bar as far as the pitman arm to keep them parrallel. What would I need to take my angles back close to stock? SOME ONE PLEASE HELP SO I CAN DRIVE SAFELY.

Sounds like you need to check the tie rods and bushings on the arms. Did you get an alignment after the lift?

Newbiejeepster said:
Hey everyone, I have a 99 XJ with 3" of lift and currently stock size tires, DD. I am deciding on an adjustable track bar. The front axle is shifted over to the drivers side slightly. Now my problem is that on the high way doing 55 or faster when I hit big bumps I get bad bump steer which throws me into a death wobble to where I have to slow down to about 30 mph! Scares the hell out of me. Recently it has been wanting to do it at slower speeds.

What would my solutions be? Could putting in a drop pitman arm with the RE HD track bar work? How much of a drop do I need on a drop pitman arm? I know I have to drop the track bar as far as the pitman arm to keep them parrallel. What would I need to take my angles back close to stock? SOME ONE PLEASE HELP SO I CAN DRIVE SAFELY.
You dont have bumpsteer.Just get a GOOD trackbar(JKS,Kevins,RE HD orTNT) and youll be fine.

If you do end up wanting a drop pitman arm i have one new in the plastic from rubicon express. I was thinking about selling it since im going to the JRC offroad steering.

Back