• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4Low = 2Low sometimes

Heb80

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes when I put my Jeep into 4Low it puts it in low range, but it is only rear wheel drive. Also, when I put it in 4High it does the same thing sometimes. When this happens, I can hear a slight clicking that seems to be coming from the transfer case (similar to the sound a locker makes, but i'm pretty sure its coming from the T-case). Is it not fully engaging? I've adjusted the linkage and the lever firmly goes into each selection. Note: This is an intermitten problem... sometimes 4Low and 4High work fine, other times they don't.

Give some specs of your Jeep. That'll help with figuring out what the deal is. Do you have a vac-disco front end? Which TC do you have? Year? Lifted? TC Drop? Details, details details......

:compwork:

Jeep Specs

99XJ
NP242 - No TC Drop
Auto Tranny
4.56 Gears
D30/Lockright Locker (No Vac Disco)
Chrysler 8.25/No-Slip Locker
5" Lift / 33" Tires

I shift lever inside the case probably is bent, I've had that problem with two different NP242s. One I was able to disassmeble tha case and straighten the lever while the I couldn't because the palstic guide foot on the end had been ground off.

Heb80 said:

Couldn't you think of something more creative to say than that? Respond to one of the suggestions or something. BTT'ing is a
nono.gif

How are you diagnosing this issue anyway?
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Couldn't you think of something more creative to say than that? Respond to one of the suggestions or something. BTT'ing is a
nono.gif

How are you diagnosing this issue anyway?
Billy

Sorry, I originally posted on a holiday weekend and thought I'd bring it up again for those who may have been busy over the weekend.

I'm not sure what you mean by how am I diagnosing the issue. I adjusted the shift linkage to make sure it is going into each selection firmly. After putting in in 4wd (both high and low) sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't.

Thinking back, I have heard a few "pops" from underneath that could have come from the t-case while wheeling it. But it hasn't done that in a while.

The net-research I've done since experiencing the 4wd=2wd problem on saturday shows that nv242's seem to require frequent chain replacement. I've got 60k on the XJ... with the last 30k of it consisting of mostly pretty hard wheeling trips.

Stretched chain would "pop" under heavy load but normally you would have full 4WD in low range.

How does the shifter feel? Does it have a nice shift and click to it or do you have to force it?

I'm still betting on a bent fork.

cLAYH said:
Stretched chain would "pop" under heavy load but normally you would have full 4WD in low range.

How does the shifter feel? Does it have a nice shift and click to it or do you have to force it?

I'm still betting on a bent fork.

The shifter feels fine, firmly goes thru each selection.

Tonight the case is coming out and getting opened up... I'll tell you what I find.

Do I have to be careful of pieces falling out when I open it up, or is everything in there snug?

Red97XJ said:
I wanna know what ya find... I have 242.

I've torn the T-case apart and this is what I've found.... http://community.webshots.com/photo/146686307/2001873930044812570yYauNz#

From what I can tell...
sleeve in contact with inner splines = 2wd
sleeve in contact with both inner and outter splines = 4wd part time
sleeve in contact with the outter splines only = 4wd full time (differential activated)

Somehow the sleeve ate the teeth off the inner edge of the outter splines. The outter edge of a few teeth on the sleeve were chipped too.

My guess is that the mode fork is bent and didn't pull the sleeve far enough onto the outter splines?

In any case, I think this t-case differential is hosed... what do you guys think? Time to junk the 242 and throw a 231HD in there?

Back