• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 disco, Q

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of putting a front locker to my yj, It is a vacuum disco D30, I know that the inner part of the divided axle is hold by a small Cklip. How can I put a detroit inside? When the locker will be installed in will not be able to install the cklip. I want to keep the 2 parts axleshaft. How to solve this? Will it work with a lunchbox locker? Or is the cklip even necessary there? Any info will be much aprreciated.

I put a True Trac in a disco axle, (similar to a locker in that there is no way to replace the c-clip) and was told by the vendor that it's not an issue to leave out the C-clip.

Actually there is no choice but to leave out the C-clip if one is locking up.

I put a True Trac in a disco axle, (similar to a locker in that there is no way to replace the c-clip) and was told by the vendor that it's not an issue to leave out the C-clip.

Actually there is no choice but to leave out the C-clip if one is locking up.

so i guess you did it twice?

Ramsey said:
so i guess you did it twice?

Hmmm... of course I did.

The first time was with the 2-pc inner shaft, and the second time was when I snatched all that junk out of the way to grind out the inside of the tube, jammed a non-disco seal & shaft in there.

:mad: If there was a merit badge for screwing with 2-pc axles and cast aluminum disco shift forks, I'd be a Devil Scout 3rd class.

What is neccesarry to remove the 2pcs shaft and install one piece? Is it bolt on?

I know:
Remove 2ps, remove and block the vacuum motor, install the new seal, and install a new shaft, but will the "new" seal bolt in? or is any modification of the housing neccesary?

I did things the hard way...by grinding approx 2mm out of the inside of the tube (to fit a factory spec late-model seal). I left my vacuum disco motor on the housing - the shift fork was broken off so there was nothing in there that mattered.

Others who have done this have found a seal that fits the ID of the tube and also the shaft. Randy's R & P may have this seal along with the block-off plate.

So if you can't install a c-clip with a Detroit, how are people installing them into rear c-clip axles? I always assumed there was a window or some means of reinserting a c-clip.

XJMarty said:
great :) thats what I wanted to hear :) Anybody knows part nr. of the seal?

The seal can be different on different housings, has been my experiance.

Here are the ones we've used..

seals.jpg

lawsoncl said:
So if you can't install a c-clip with a Detroit, how are people installing them into rear c-clip axles? I always assumed there was a window or some means of reinserting a c-clip.

detroits for c klip axles have "window" others not, I suppose.

Thanks for the info with seals, I will probably have to find some from local sources ....... I hope some Europe seals will fit ....

Back