• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So who has 1 ton Axles? got some ?'s

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
SO i may have a lead on some axles from a 90 1 ton Ford. Has anyone swapped in similar axles into their xj??
Im running an 89 xj 4.0, d44 rear, d30 front all locked and im looking to go bigger but im not sure about how the unibody will hold up with the dana 60. If you have done the swap, what other bracing if any did you do?
What issues/problems came up in the swap?
General feedback about your build and the resulting products wheelability and weak links??
Thanks
Brian
GJ Colorado
Also, Id love some pictures of a completed swap and a swap in progress if possible.

i hate to be the one that says it, but you should search. i've been doing a lot of it lately on swapping in a 60. there is info out there, just gotta dig for it.

look into sleeving the frame rails to help hang those monsters.

frame is already stiffened under the passenger comp with both rocker protection and angle iron skid plate. Its also got a full internal cage so that helps. I was just hoping to find someone who has used similar year axles and see how the swap went and what issues came up. I also wanted feedback about tearing unibody with a 60 front so i can reinforce before it begins.

there are more. big woody, bent, xjnation, arctic xj, theres more or more that have posted about having done it at least. you can add me to that list in a year or so.

Talking about 1 tons and leaving out OneTonXJ?

SeanP as well. I helped with that one.

It's a PITA to fit the pumpkin between the exhaust, oil pan and coil bucket. My advice, if you do tons, save a lot of headache and budget for coil-overs from the start.

The unibody is going to crack whether you keep the 30 or go to a 60. So, either you keep the chassis disposable and don't mess with it too much, or you build for the long term and do a significant amount of tube work.

With XJ's being as cheap as they are, on my next build, I'd lean toward the former......

91 Jeep Project said:
Ron S, forgot about him. Bent has Currie 9"ers. And I don't think Brian (xjnation) has one tons. You might be thinking of the white XJ he recently built for a customer.
that would be it, i just remember a post he made about clearing exhaust and assumed it was his.

Hp60 using a clayton x-member and RE long arms.....get the 78/79 model it's easier to mount the links because of its "diff" location being more centered. 8" skyjacker RR coils no spacers and fender cutting, it cleared 39" krawlers with vitually no bumpstop, had no problems with exhaust or oil pan. This pic is with bumpstops I took out and on 38.5 SX's. Hope this helps

DSCF0119.jpg

have to space the upper link mounts up a bit to prevent this from happening

DSCF0120.jpg

Jimminyc said:
frame is already stiffened under the passenger comp with both rocker protection and angle iron skid plate. Its also got a full internal cage so that helps. I was just hoping to find someone who has used similar year axles and see how the swap went and what issues came up. I also wanted feedback about tearing unibody with a 60 front so i can reinforce before it begins.

I wouldent do a front d60 using the stock control arm mounts. it would suck and not hold up well. I ran a d70 rear with 37-38s for a year on the rear leafs un modified and had no tearing issues, but Ive seen many closer to stock XJ rip. No rust in arizona, that helps.

Full frame sleving, tube, reienforced suspension mounts.. good to go.
Not really any unibody left, or any XJ parts.. but what ever, it modified tech right?
download.php

download.php

download.php

I finished my v8 drivetrain swap and its runngin on propane. Its still not wheelable though it looks done. I need to reienforce some rear suspension brackets, skids, seatbelt mounts, PS pump is just about dead (full hydro no good). When ever this Revsison is done (18 months now) it will be LOADS of fun.

Build up thread:
88XJuggy, LPG 350-th400-203-205, d60-14B, 42inTSLs

Wow guys, those are killer pictures. Ashman, i still see some xj in there, you better get to hacking!
Keep the pictures coming, this really helps to see them installed.
Along with the fact that its inspiring to see well built rigs!
So when are some of you 1 ton guys coming out to Gj Colorado to give billings canyon trail a try?

Greg you need to hit URE this weekend so I can see that thing runnign and not on a trailer! Cannto wait till Tellico, assuming you guys are there.

Ghost said:
Greg you need to hit URE this weekend so I can see that thing runnign and not on a trailer! Cannto wait till Tellico, assuming you guys are there.

no, you need to go to Harlan with us this weekend..lol

Well I don't think I'm up to your level yet. I do want to go there some time. I forgot you guys were heading up there this weekend. I ordered the rest of the JJ's for my D44 swap yersterday. I hope I get it and the 5.38's in by July. Have fun.

Back