• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS Install tips...

ODXJ97

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to install a new crankshaft position sensor to try to cure my random stalling problem, and it looks rather hard to get to on the bell housing. Does anyone have some tips before I tackle this? Thanks.

ODXJ97 said:
I'm going to install a new crankshaft position sensor to try to cure my random stalling problem, and it looks rather hard to get to on the bell housing. Does anyone have some tips before I tackle this? Thanks.
Yes search this site.

1: Take lots of drugs, and hope you grow a third hand.

2: LOTS of light from above and below.

3: Use the dust shield that should come with a new CPS. It snaps into the bell housing and it will help hold the CPS in place in case step 1 didn't take.

4: Use a 1/4 inch socket, and buy if necessary a couple of longish extensions, a medium extension and a u-joint. Combine as necessary. Different combination works better for each bolt.

5: Use a piece of paper or the like to hold the bolt head in the socket when installing.

A three-foot extension, a 7/16" "Universal" socket, and five minutes' work with a Dremel and a cut-off wheel makes the job MUCH easier for me - since I don't have to actually remove the bolts anymore. Just loosen them up and gently pull on the wiring, and it comes right up. Put the new one in place, rest a long screwdriver on it, and tighten the bolts. Takes 10 minutes, anymore.

If you haven't found a picture of how I notch the CPS mounting bracket, let me know - and I'll see if I can dig it up again. I know I've posted it here a couple times - it's not the best picture, but it gets the point across.

5-90

Back