• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help me..........

xxxventorxxx

NAXJA Forum User
I need a torque converter. I am towing a trailer and will be at or over the 5000 pound limit. I am having a hard time locating one.:skull2: 1993 jeep xj

buy a 3/4 ton truck. You will be exceeding the maximum limit for an XJ, and I don't mean just a torque converter. The XJ will not be able to stop that trailer adequately, and with the shorter wheelbase I think you'll have problems controlling soemthing that heavy behind an XJ. last but not least, if you go over 5K pounds you'll be exceeding the rated load limit for the hitch itself.
It's a bad idea, and if you cause an accident with the trailer overloaded it will cause all sorts of liability issues.

I have a class 4 hitch with the brake controller. I doubt it will be that hard to stop. If you have any
experience
with towing. A light trailer is not that hard to stop. I will also put a 3/4 ton truck on my wish list

Whats wrong with your torque converter that you need a new one?

xxxventorxxx said:
I have a class 4 hitch with the brake controller. I doubt it will be that hard to stop. If you have any
experience
with towing. A light trailer is not that hard to stop. I will also put a 3/4 ton truck on my wish list

There is a reason that the jeep is rated at 5K towing limit.... The fact that you put on a bigger hitch doesn't mean that you can tow higher loads (heck, I imagine one could mount up a class IV hitch to a yugo ;) ).

I believe part of the problem will be handling (stopping is not the only issue). Anyways, do yourself and especially others who will be on the road around you a favour and don't tow over the limit.

I would imagine that no one knows the exact weight of what they were towing unless they hit the scale before they headed out. My jeep has been with me since 93 and it is the only car/truck I have had that I love. It will be fine. I also have a weight distributing hitch. My buddie told me to get a TConverter. I will drive it as it is. I also will keep it at or around my max limit. But I love my truck and have taken all saftey measures when towing. I have tires that are rated for my trailer. Tow mirriors and will do everything to keep it safe. Again I will kill my truck before I ever let it go.

towing at or above (even slightly) for your vehicals capabilities is very unsafe. Even with trailer brakes, the handleing concerns voice by the others will not be corrected. The XJ has to short of a wheelbase for that big of a load and it is not a heavy enough truck. A 1/2t HD and/or 3/4t sounds like what ya need.
what exactly are you pulling?

xxxventorxxx said:
But I love my truck and have taken all saftey measures when towing.
Nope you didn't. You are ignoring the manufacturing requirement for towing.

Oh and I have no clue what your buddy thinks that a "different" torque converter will achieve.

Lastly, since you are in SoCal please post up when you're hitting the road with the overweight trailer so that I can make sure to avoid the freeways that day.

5k with an XJ, holy crap!!!

5k with my 02 Suburban can be scary at times. I'd never use an XJ to tow anything above 2k, period!!!

go on socal chapter and look for the thread entitle "Mr. Imortls wild ride" and that will tell you all about how towing with a jeep even under the capicity can almost kill everyone and cause thousands in damage. i mean you can do it but youd better drive slow......cause i watched kens WJ fishtail from the fast lane to the slow lane then jackknife in both directions, then do a two wheeled 270* spin and im just astonished that nobody died and no major vechile damage was done. all that from towing a jeep with a jeep.

5K with an xj.....HOLY SHIT!!!!
My toyhauler is 5300lbs empty and my f-150 had a really hard time pulling it.
Superduty cured that....

waxer said:
5k with an XJ, holy crap!!!

5k with my 02 Suburban can be scary at times. I'd never use an XJ to tow anything above 2k, period!!!

vegas_baja said:
5K with an xj.....HOLY SHIT!!!!
My toyhauler is 5300lbs empty and my f-150 had a really hard time pulling it.
Superduty cured that....

Just noticed I stole your post.... wasn't intentional I promise :D

I will be towing a 2007 weekend warrior SX1800. I have a couple of dirt bikes I will put in it and then the usual. The water tank is only 30 gallons. I really wish I could afford a new truck to keep all of you safe. But rest assured if it is unsafe or feels hard to handle I will only bring it home. I will not take it out until I get a new truck. If,
infact
that would be the case. I have a lot more faith in my
ol
truck than most of you do. We will see tomorrow. I pick it up at 10 am. I will continue this thread then

If the trailer wieghs out at 5000+ then you add the water, about 250 pounds, the two dirt bikes at 250 each with gas, and then the extra gas for the fun, then all your camping gear, you could be trying to pull more than 6500 pounds!!!

This, my freind, is absolutely idiotic and a danger to the general public.. Your XJ may weigh about 4500 punds loaded with gear and gas. there is no way your truck will be able to stop that trailer in a panic situation. If you insist on trying to tow with it find a trailer that, when loaded, doesnt exceed the limits of your XJ.

I dont know who is telling you that this would be ok, but they are wrong.

my .02

xxxventorxxx said:
I will be towing a 2007 weekend warrior SX1800. I have a couple of dirt bikes I will put in it and then the usual. The water tank is only 30 gallons. I really wish I could afford a new truck to keep all of you safe. But rest assured if it is unsafe or feels hard to handle I will only bring it home. I will not take it out until I get a new truck. If,
infact
that would be the case. I have a lot more faith in my
ol
truck than most of you do. We will see tomorrow. I pick it up at 10 am. I will continue this thread then

first of all.....wtf is up w/ the stupid font and writing

second of all you are a moron for even thinking about attempting this

xxxventorxxx said:
. But rest assured if it is unsafe or feels hard to handle I will only bring it home.

I can do it, it feels good, it's not that bad, could be worse... oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Sounds familiar? It might. Anyways, we're not bashing on you but trying to make you understand that it will be dangerous not only for you but for everyone else around you as well. If you have all the towing experience that you've mentioned you should know better. Anyways, I think all of us know how it is not to have the resources to try and accomplish something and then trying to make whatever we have work..... I think it will be safe to say that in most cases it turns ugly! Yeah there will be a few success stories, couple people will get lucky (exception proves the rule ;) ).

Anyways, if you need to move something (tow it over or something) either talk a friend into helping you or rent the proper equipment. Otherwise then that as I mentioned before, please let us know the time, date and route so that we we can make sure to be off the freeways as well as we can make sure that people we care about are off the freeways.

Back