• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Caliper alignment

xjbubba

NAXJA Member # 1524
Asked this over on Pirate, but not getting much response, so that I ask again, here.
When installing rear caliper mounts on an axle, where do you set the caliper body after you've centered the pads on the rotor? I'm talking about floating calipers (mine are Cad Eldorado's). It looks like the caliper body floats on the bushing inside the caliper mount "ear" and/or on the mounting bolt head. My bolt heads are the same OD as the bushing OD. I'm really trying to figure out whether I need to add spacers to my axle mounts after I installed new rotors. The old rotor off-set is ~1/8 different from the new ones. This moved my calipers towards the diff ~1/8. While scrutinizing the effects of the change, I noticed the caliper "ears" are less than half on the bushings, appearing to ride on both the bushing and bolt head. I compared this with my front 1/2-ton Chevy calipers, and it's similar, but not quite as much on to the bolt heads. Is there a specific setting for where these thing go? It's easy enough to change, just add spacers. I need to know how much of the bushing should be showing.

Back