• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling engine/tranny/t-case

you can pull it all as one unit, but you'll have to remove the entire front of the XJ. there is like a little "crossmember" that sits on top of the grill, you have to take that off, the grill, lights, radiator and everything else. basically when you get done all you have is the bumper and fenders. (mine looks like that right now cuz i'm doing a engine swap and it's easier that way then trying to pull it straight up).

you'll have to put something under the t-case to support it and maybe even allow it to roll a little. since you're pulling such a long piece, you'll have to tilt the engine back and pull it at an angle going up and forward. if you can put it on jackstands and your engine hoist goes high enough, it'll be relatively easy to do it.

just curious.........why are you pulling all of it???

yup, front end is all off. i'm pulling it b/c the engine/tranny have 60k miles on them, and the body is smashed in the rear, so i'm using what i want and parting the rest, and putting the drivetrain in another xj. i didn't think there would be any big issues with doing it this way, but just wanted to check first. never hurts.

oh i see........i was thinking about this post yesterday after i got done pulling my engine. i had removed the front clip, but only pulled the engine thinking it would be "faster". in the end i had to take off the tranny crossmember and lower the tranny about 4" so i could get those stupid reverse torx bits off. i should have just pulled everthing at once, then i wouldn't have cut my hands up so bad trying to get all the bellhousing bolts off.

Back