• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diconnects?

I'm running the same type of set up on my dd with no problems. Easy to remove when wheeling, easy to put back on. Have had them on for 5 months or so.

cstilesiscool said:
I'm running the same type of set up on my dd with no problems. Easy to remove when wheeling, easy to put back on. Have had them on for 5 months or so.
did you have to grind it down a little narrower?

cstilesiscool said:
Mine fit perfectly but I got them from someone on ebay. Yeah I have an 89 XJ.
what do you mean got them from a guy on ebay are they just the little pins from the hardware store or did he do something special?

i replaced that torx bolt a long time ago with a regular 1/2" nut and bolt, so when i go wheeling i just throw a socket on it and 2 minutes later i have a disconnected swaybar.

i can't really justify spending 120+ dollars on disconnects when they only save you maybe a couple minutes. it's not enough of an inconvenience for me.

This mod has been used for years on XJ's and it works very well, and it very cheap. Many people also remove the rear swaybar completely.

The ONLY downside that I am aware of (I made mine like this several years ago and have use them regularly) is that when you lift the vehicle and need to extend the links they are a little weak if you take it off road and do not disconnect.

Other than that, they are very good and cheap.

Michael

What grade metal are those pins made out of? Every stock fastener I have seen has been rated grade eight or better. As long as they can stand up to the punishment I would say go for it. If the pin is too soft you would run into issues with fatigue. And you will not know about it until it breaks. We all know that happens at the least convenient time.:soapbox:

FlatLander

I got mine from a guy on Ebay so I can't remember the exact size of it. I didn't have to grind it narrower though. I searched "Jeep quick disconnects" on Ebay and I found the ones I use.

I did this on my 1st XJ years ago and it works good. I just thought about it when I went to the hardware store. It's nice to see others are using this method and keeping things cheap. If you go to a 3"+ lift you'll need longer sway bar links, but then I'd say get some pipe and put in the needed holes like the RE setup, but this cheap disco is the way to go for no to little lift and gives you good offroad flex and easy to reconnect again.

Troy

Back