• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Cooler instal

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Im going to be installing a B&M cooler and i had a couple questions. Should the flow be like this: Tranny -> Tranny cooler-> Radiator -> Tranny?

Correct me if im wrong the return line to the tranny is on the passenger side of the engine?

Usually you just skip the radiator, because the heat of the coolant transfering to the tranny fluid, makes the added cooler obsolete. If you dont want to skip it, go, Tranny/Radiator/Cooler/Tranny, that way, the fluid is air cooled after the radiator. HTH and makes sense.

12GaugeXJ said:
Usually you just skip the radiator, because the heat of the coolant transfering to the tranny fluid, makes the added cooler obsolete. If you dont want to skip it, go, Tranny/Radiator/Cooler/Tranny, that way, the fluid is air cooled after the radiator. HTH and makes sense.

So do i need to do anything to the location where the tranny line enters and exits the radiator? If i bi-pass obvisouly

12GaugeXJ said:

I really don't think it is a good idea to bypass the radiator. The radiator/transmission interface acts as a heat exchanger. Which maintains the tranny fliud at it's ideal operating range. If it's too cold, heat is added to the fliud, if it's too hot, heat is removed from the fliud.

SBrad001 said:
I really don't think it is a good idea to bypass the radiator. The radiator/transmission interface acts as a heat exchanger. Which maintains the tranny fliud at it's ideal operating range. If it's too cold, heat is added to the fliud, if it's too hot, heat is removed from the fliud.

If thats the case, why use an extra cooler at all? I could see if he is running 33's with stock gears. Why use the cooler before the radiator? It kinda defeats the pourpose of having one. Like I said, it was up to him. I did suggest to use it after the radiator though.

mavrick said:
Correct me if im wrong the return line to the tranny is on the passenger side of the engine?
Nope - you're correct. Then again...the pressure side of the tranny is also on the passenger side.

aw4.jpg

mavrick said:
would it then be a good idea to run the cooler after it goes through the radiator?

Yes, it will keep your tranny cooler at running temperatures but still allow the fluid to heat up using the heat of your engine on a cold day. I did it this way, and it works great.

Yes... it's coming out of the pressure side and back into through the return.

FWIW when I installed my aux cooler & filter (22 months ago) I bypassed the radiator, with no ill effects that I can tell.

If and/or when I do it again, I will install a thermostat to let the fluid bypass the cooler until it needs cooled.

Back