• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-case drop removed now clunking and undrivable

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I finished installing my RE hack and tape SYE yesterday, drove it around yesterday and today, it was awsome. I didn't have a chance to take the 1" T-case drop kit out because my air compressor broke.

My Jeep is a '99, and my crossmember was a little bent, so I was up at my shop today and took a crossmember out of an early 90's cherokee, they looked identical when I had them both out. I swaped it in and took out the drop kit.

I go to move it, and now im hearing a clunking like somethings hitting. I drove less than 10mph just to drive from the back to the front of the shop, and new there was no way I could get it home. Its cold and wet outside, we looked under it briefly and we couldn't see any immediate problems.

Any Ideas? put old crossmember back in? put drop kit back in?

what kinda driveshaft did you put in?? if you measured for with a 1" tc drop that shouldn't make too much difference.

did the flange go on flush, did you get the flange on well??

if you have a standard, and put an xmember in from an auto, and took out the tcase drop, you could have effectively raised the tcase a little over 1.5 inches!

I would take a look at the Ujoints, see if the yokes are bottoming on them. Also, see if the flange is on there well, and check the angles of your pinion and output yoke.

skyjackedxj96 said:
do you even have any shims under the leaves

That is what I am thinking. Shims need to be added to raise the pinion up so that it is 2-3 degrees short of pointing directly at the transfercase when a double cardon drive shaft has been fitted.

skyjackedxj96 said:
do you even have any shims under the leaves

Yes I have shims under there, I put them on before the slip yoke.

Its a Rubicon Express drive shaft.

-I drove it around for 2 days after I put the slip yoke in there. It drove perfectly smooth, drove it around back of my shop, switched crossmembers both are auto, then when I went to drive out to the front it was doing this, and I could feel it through the shifter and e-brake handle. All the bolts are there and the flange is fine, I don't have it right now because its up at my shop, but I'll double check the tranny mounts and everything, I seem to remember tightening them properly. I'll double check the U-joints, I don't remember them having any trouble when I looked.

Were the 231 and 242 crossmembers the same? If not, you could have an crossmember from an auto but still be different since it mount to the transfer case. My .02 worth.

Maybe, but they looked identicle when I had them next to each other, and I'm pretty sure it mounted to the transmission the one I got off, but not positive.

Xmembers are the same for 231/242. The x member has nothing to do with the tcase, the tranny is what mounts to it. 5speed x members have like a 5/8" drop to them.

I'd say you have to correct the shims now that you took the tcase drop out. The pinion should be pointing almost in the same direction as the driveshaft is, just a tad lower. if it's really lower than the driveshaft, well then there is your problem.

Yes everything was secure, and I found the problem

My emergency brake cable was hitting the double cardon joint at the top of the driveshaft (which was why I could feel it so much when I touched the lever the other night), and the reason why I didn't see it before was because I had the E-brake engaged when I first looked under it, which whenever I have it engaged it cleared the shaft. Just zip tied it to the gas lines to get it out of the way.

And I checked, my pinion angle is pointing just below the driveshaft, where it should be

begster said:
Yes everything was secure, and I found the problem

My emergency brake cable was hitting the double cardon joint at the top of the driveshaft (which was why I could feel it so much when I touched the lever the other night), and the reason why I didn't see it before was because I had the E-brake engaged when I first looked under it, which whenever I have it engaged it cleared the shaft. Just zip tied it to the gas lines to get it out of the way.

And I checked, my pinion angle is pointing just below the driveshaft, where it should be
Wait... you zip tied it to the gas lines? Hmmm I hope those are weak zip ties so that if something catches your brake cable it doesn't do nothing bad.....

What I did for mine (I had the same problem) I drilled a hole in one of the seams in the area and ran the cable through a metal loop thing that I bolted through that drilled hole.

Kejtar said:
Wait... you zip tied it to the gas lines? Hmmm I hope those are weak zip ties so that if something catches your brake cable it doesn't do nothing bad.....

What I did for mine (I had the same problem) I drilled a hole in one of the seams in the area and ran the cable through a metal loop thing that I bolted through that drilled hole.

Ya I did it just to get home, because I wanted it at my house. I'll be outside in a little while looking at how to fix it since it is so nice out. Thanks for that advice though.

Back