• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering popping sound

slacker

NAXJA Forum User
whenever i turn my steering wheel to the right, i hear a popping sound. this happens when only turning to the right, not the left. anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? i tihnk it might be comin from the drop link...but what do i do?

jack up the front end and start pulling and prodding on things.
Once the suspension is unloaded you should be able to find any sloppy joints and bushings.
THings to look very closely at.
The steering box bolts.
The trackbar and it's mounts.
THe tie rod ends.
The drag link
Replace anything that has any slop.
Here's a picture so you know what you're looking at.
Jeepfrontendparts.jpg

You may also want to check you motor mounts mostly the driver side. I know that I had that problem and the last thing I checked was my motor mount which someone suggested and what do you know, that was it.

Just another thing to look at.

You didn't say what Jeep. The xj has an frame mounted track bar mount that's notorious for loosening up and popping when turning while stopped, or moving slow. I've found it almost impossible to detect this looseness by observation. Just re torque all (4?) of the associated bolts.
87manches' picture looks like a TJ--track bar frame mount welded to frame--not bolted.

i had the same problem turned out it was the clamp for the tie rods

Wifes was making same noises. I replaced all four ball joints. Also replaced all three tie rod/drag link ends, and the high dollar right hand end. Still made noise. As I sat under the thing looking for any thing moving while she slowly turned the wheel to and fro I saw the bracket on the track bar where it mounts to the axle move. It has some sort of funky lift on it and the bracket appears to be raised to help offset the bumpsteer, I welded it in place and it stopped popping

Back