• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Feeler: socalxj/naxja shop?

gcurtis

Shirley Temple was a nug.
Remi primed me for this a couple of days ago...

Would you be interested in a shop to be able to work on your XJ at certain hours on certain days with access to air tools, welders and torches... perhaps even a vehicle lift in OC (of course respect for the shop and its tools would be a requirement and no kids named "Drunk Tank")?

What would it be worth to you? I have to cover insurance and space, but would it be something of interest?

Post up and let me know. Also understand that if I threw you out for abuse of tools, equipment, facility, throwing shit, smoking or whatnot, I meant it and you'd have to go. This is my shop and you are under my control and must respect my decisions at all times; punks need not respond.

I'm in...but you already knew that. :) It would be well worth whatever you charge. Especially for people like me with a one car garage.

This is a grea idea. I have tossed it around a time a two with a couple of other guys.

I think a certain per hour/day rental fee would be more than fare.

I would be in and willing to donate not only time but whatever xtra tools that I have, and get a hold of (I am a mfg. rep for a couple of tool lines) So yea I am in! Especially if there are people with knowledge that I don't have to help!

:repair:

I talked to a couple of people and looked into such an idea a year or so ago. The problem is that the insurance you need to take out to cover people working on their vehicles in your garage is gonna kill you (if there is even any insurance company that would actually cover you). Otherwise, there will be a lots of shops out there renting their bays out to public just like the self-wash carwashes do! All you need to lose your shirt is one bad apple, no matter how well you think you know them!

Umbrella personal liability policy would cover you if your "friends" should happen to hurt them selves while visiting you at your personal work space. I wouldnt directly charge for the usage, a "donation" jar would be a way to cover the expenses(pre pay of course). just my view of a way to see how financially feasable that idea would become

GSequoia said:
I say put it in the South Bay; preferably withen walking distance of the Redondo Beach pier.

:D

Perhaps over by the Pitcher House so that we can have Spaghetti Mondays? Been there, lived that... I'll stick to OC these days. ;)

Here are the hurdles as I see them:

A) interruption of normal business cannot happen, whether it be time, space or anything else; this is a business first and foremost.
B) one bonehead will cause the entire thing to crash and burn with a bad attitude, a desire to leave their crap sitting in my space or making a mess and not cleaning it up.
C) insurance
D) over exposure: too many people trying to wrench and taking up all of my spare time

I am going into this conversation with an open mind, but is like the houseparty rule... always at someone else's house, never your own.

Eddie G. said:
All you need to lose your shirt is one bad apple, no matter how well you think you know them!

I don't know about you guys, but I for one would never think about filing an insurance claim if something happened to me or my Jeep. Even if I were to break a limb, hell I have health insurance. If my Jeep fell off the lift, oh well, time to get a new one.

So it is true that maybe Grant should not offer his generosity and garage to people he doesn't know very well. Limit it to your close friends...you know who they are. :)

I wouldn't file an insurance claim. I'd just sue him so I could have to shop all to myself! :D

Okay, maybe I'd just make fun of myself for being so clumsy as to drop my Jeep or break my arm.

how about in west virginia? :)

gcurtis said:
Perhaps over by the Pitcher House so that we can have Spaghetti Mondays? Been there, lived that... I'll stick to OC these days. ;)

Here are the hurdles as I see them:

A) interruption of normal business cannot happen, whether it be time, space or anything else; this is a business first and foremost.
B) one bonehead will cause the entire thing to crash and burn with a bad attitude, a desire to leave their crap sitting in my space or making a mess and not cleaning it up.
C) insurance
D) over exposure: too many people trying to wrench and taking up all of my spare time

I am going into this conversation with an open mind, but is like the houseparty rule... always at someone else's house, never your own.

All very good points. My suggestion would be to operate along similar lines as the UT folks do with their shop days:

1. It'd be one scheduled day (maybe a weekend every so often) a month? two months? or something like that. (no last minute work or "I just need to stop by to adjust 2 bolts).
2. People would have to sign all the disclaimers possible.
3. There would be a limited number of rigs that would be allowed to be worked on (no work in the parking lot) as well as limited number of people would be allowed to work and look. If someone is visiting and is not on the scheduled list, they should not be allowed inside.
4. I don't think that the cleanup would be an issue as all present would be involved in a cleanup and if someone skipped out on that I don't think he'd have an easy way of livng that down or expect to be allowed back.
5. The $ should be probably charged and promoted in such a way as to imply that it is to cover consumables and not any sort of servhice which I think further removes the responsibility for anything going wrong from the owner of the location (namely Grant).
6. Oh yeah.... and the $ should cover ALL expenses that Grant would incur (insurance, electrical, consumables, some shop tools ;) )

xjohnnyc said:
I don't know about you guys, but I for one would never think about filing an insurance claim if something happened to me or my Jeep.

That's just the problem Johnny. It won't be you. It'll be your insurance company. You'll have exactly zero say in the matter.

--ron

Captain Ron said:
That's just the problem Johnny. It won't be you. It'll be your insurance company. You'll have exactly zero say in the matter.

--ron
he's completely right on that matter ( and wrong for not working on his JUNK, GET TO WORK!!:repair: :repair: :repair: )

The fact of the matter is, when the insurance thing is investigated, and you find out the does and the dont's then you make your decision, but your Family, Job come first and I thing we would all appreciet that. As far as anything else goes, i am not apposed to paying someone to work on my junk if it something that i absolutly can not do at my home.

Just my thoughts:geek:

Captain Ron said:

--ron

Well I would have a say if I don't report it to my insurance company. We all know the risks of four-wheeling. If we damage our vehicles on the trail, will our insurance companies do anything? No, partially because we probably wouldn't report it in the first place. We know the risks and the consequences of our hobby.

In the same realm, if my Jeep was irreparably damaged on a friend's property, I wouldn't be calling my insurance company. I would strip the Jeep of all salvageable parts, and get a new Jeep.

But that's just me. That's why I suggested making the shop available only to those people you can trust not to screw you. Which may end up being a short list. :)

I understand it well. Here is one problem: let's say you cut your finger off when you're working on your XJ on Grant's lift. You have to rush to the emergency room. You have to fill up a form. One question is if this injury was due to an accident. Insurance company has to pick up the several thousand dollars of hospital bill. They want to investigate the accident. And they don't want to just dish out money to the hospital if they can collect the damages from Grant's insurance. And Grant's insurance doesn't want to caugh up the money unelss he has already taken out an insurance that says you are covered by it. That's why mechanic shops don't like you walking around their shops.

Now let's look at something even worst... While working on the XJ on Grant's lift the jeep falls on you and you kick the bucket. Your next of keen (say your wife) is furious. Lawyers add to her anger to collect compensation from Grant. His insurance company won't covered anybody but his "trained" employees using the lift. Nex thing you know he has to sell his business, take out a bunch of loans to pay the mega-million dollar law suit (which the lawyer takes 50% of it, at least).

On the trail it's different. It's not Grant's property. It's your doing. Nobody to blame, but you.

I guess if Grant can have you sign a waiver of liability and if his insurance is ok with that, then that might be a good way to go for us to abuse his lift! We had to do that all the time when I was flying patients for Angel Flight. It was ok'ed by the lawyers to do it that way.

Back