• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flasher removal

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, did a search and could not find a definitive answer. I've poked my head under my dash to the left of the steering column but I can not locate my damn flasher. Do I need to remove the knee panel below the steering column to get to the flasher? This is on a 99 XJ.

Thanks.
Dave

Unless it's different from my 93 I had, it's on the fuse panel. Look for two round objects on it. One is the turnsignals and one is the flashers.

Sarge

Thanks Sarge, but later XJs use the "Combination Flasher" which is not located on the fuse panel.

And to everyone else, yes I have topped off the blinker fluid. ;)

Dave

CantonXJ:

You do in fact need to remove the small kick panel under the steering wheel. Three or four screws hold it in place. Once the panel is removed, the flasher will be on the far left side. The factory flasher is a grey plastic. If you flasher still works, it's easy to locate if you have your signals on. FYI, autozone and checkers do in fact sell the required flasher. The replacement is noisier than the OEM unit, but it costs $10 instead of $30.

If ya still cant find it it seems to me mine was almost behind the a/c vent on the left side it was a bitch to find practally tore the whole dash out to find it cuz as i was muttering to myself "ya just had to have led bulbs didnt ya" good luck...... btw i was doing it at night so that didnt help

To replace mine on a 2001, I had to remove the lower plastic panel and the underlying metal one. You have to remove the middle plastic cover over the radio/heater area to get to some of the screws. Having the flasher on made it easier to locate. Once found it was necessary to cut through the toasted foam plastic surround to get the darned thing out! All in all a real fun project for such a simple thing.

Back