• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dead Door Locks on my 98

motroutmo

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. I just found this forum after buying my 2nd XJ in 3 years. Very cool place.

I picked up my 98 about a month ago with only 84k on the clock for $4k. It was wrecked and is on a salvage title. Most of the damage was professionally repaired and it is in fairly good condition. Only real problem I have with it is that the door locks don't activate using any of the switches and sometimes the window switches on all doors except driver's don't work.

I pulled the right door panel because when removed and replaced the door lock fuse, I heard it clicking in there. Problem is I don't really know where to start troubleshooting this because my Haynes manual only has a very basic schematic. Is there a circuit breaker or relay I need to check? Do you know of a good procedure for isolating the problem? Is there somewhere I cab get a complete schematic of my electrical system component locations?

Any help in resolving this (short of replacing everything in each door and under the hood) would be greatly appreciated.

Motroutmo
Fish chuckle when they see me comin'

The answer to the windows not working is probably your Child Lock-Out Switch. Common problem on 98's. Do a search on here and there are a couple of good threads in which a remedy is described, and its fairly easy. As far as the locks go, when you pulled the door pannel off, did you make sure you got the lock on that side lined back up with the rest of them (meaning if the all doors were unlocked at the time you pulled the pannel off, did you make sure that door was still in the unlock position when you put the pannel back on?), I ran into that same problem not too long ago when i had to pull my passenger door pannel off to do a temp. fix on my window regulator.

Child Lock-Out Switch will keep all locks from working? Wow - go figure. I will look into that - thanks!

I will also make sure they are all lined up when I pull All of the panels tomorrow.

Anyone know if I can test the locks themselves using the battery? If so - what voltage needs to hit which wire to fire the locks ?

Thanks again!

ive got kind of the same problem with the locks...my driver side rear door just refuses to open from the outside...and sometime even from the inside and my front driver door i have to hit the 'unlock' key on my keyless entry probally 7+ times before it unlocks

i would love to know how to fix this problem too! if anyone knows what im talking about and wants to help that would be awesome :)

Back