• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Shaft Manufac.

There are probably two methods being used to create the splines:

1. hot rolling them in with a die
2. cutting them in with a gear hobbing machine

On the 8.25 axles I have seen, I think they are cutting the splines with a hobbing machine.

There are also two methods used to make the basic shaft - the other is if there is "mill stock" close to the "net size" (finished size) of the axle shaft, they'll save themselves machining effort and just hammer-forge the mill stock to size and shape.

Also, the flanged are "friction welded" on - they spin the shaft (or the flange, depends on the machine) very quickly, and then press the two together. The heat from motion stopped by contact (kinda like your brakes, only WAY hotter!) causes localised melting of the base metal, and fusion.

High-strength axles would then be "normalized" to reduce the effects of the "heat affected zone," and maybe "cryogenically treated" to further reduce internal stresses.

Google the terms I'd put in quotes for more information - if I gave you all the answers, you wouldn't learn anything now, would you? :read:

5-90

That's perfect guys, thanks a lot for the info and links. We had to do a short presentation for a manufacturing class on how any automotive part is made...I knew having spare Jeep parts around everywhere would come in handy!

Back