• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying a new xj... got questions

Cherokee_4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 4.0l, 5 spd. standard cherokee but it was stolen and is likely gonna be written off. i recently put an RE 4.5" lift and 33's on it so i want to buy it back from insurance and buy another xj and swap my stuff onto it. i want to buy a 91-96 so it has the H.O. motor and will be newer with less miles. will there be any big changes b/w this style and my 88? anything that i should look for when i buy one?? I don't have an sye on my 88 and i have no vibes, will i need one for 91-96 model or is that just for the 97+ models??? any input would be appreciated, thnx.

Cherokee_4x4 said:
I have an 88 4.0l, 5 spd. standard cherokee but it was stolen and is likely gonna be written off. i recently put an RE 4.5" lift and 33's on it so i want to buy it back from insurance and buy another xj and swap my stuff onto it. i want to buy a 91-96 so it has the H.O. motor and will be newer with less miles. will there be any big changes b/w this style and my 88? anything that i should look for when i buy one?? I don't have an sye on my 88 and i have no vibes, will i need one for 91-96 model or is that just for the 97+ models??? any input would be appreciated, thnx.

I think the most important thing to look for is the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. Also, in either 95 or 96 they started using the dual diaphragm brake booster, for 33s you'll want the extra braking power.

Back