• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Steering shaft

mikeswrangler

NAXJA Forum User
on my 98 XJ the steering shaft on the 97+ goes threw the firewall. has anyone else had the problem of the shaft making a thud noise where is goes threw the firewall. The u joints in the shaft are all good and no freeplay. I know on YJs they have bearings that go and you have to replace them. Just seeing what you guys have to say. Thanks!

are you referring to a really low pitched squeal/thud when you turn the wheel??

if so, that seems to be a common thing with newer xj's............i would assume lubing that firewall grommet that the shaft goes through would eliminate it (i get the same noise from time to time too)

Yeh, first I thought it was something in the front end, until I had my friend move the wheel back and forth while I was under there. It is def a low pitch thud. I thought maybe it was getting hung up or rubbing on something while going threw the firwall. Ill have to take that platic cap off and shove some grease in there and try it out. Thanks!

Back