• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do I go from here?

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
My 1990 XJ is still having fuel issues.

The pump is 100 miles old, (and I went to the Jeep dealerand bought the OEM), the filter is 100 miles old, the fuel pressure regulator is 15 miles old. The injectors are the Ford 5.0 19# from fiveomotorsports...new about 3000 miles ago.

It won't start immediately. I need to pump the accellerator, then when it starts it whines and revs really high, then settles down in a matter of 15 seconds or so.

When I drive, it feel sluggish during accelleration. At times it "cuts out," then backfires and revs up again. I am just getting lots of hesitation, jerking, and non-responsiveness. Last week it at a stop, it was idled at only 250 RPM. That was a one time thing though, so far.

Also, when I drain the fluid out of my Schrader valve, it just pours and pours out. I can hook a pressure tester up, and it won't record any fuel pressure at all! Then when I hit the "drain button" on the pressure tester, the fuel just pours out of it until I decide to let go of the button. It is as if the fuel pump just keeps sending fuel, even when the truck is off.

Could it be a computer thing?

Could there be crap in the hard fuel line that runs between the filter and the fuel pressure regulator?

HELP ME!

Thanks y'all.

You have a fuel pressure problem. It is either the pump or the regulator. Since both have been replaced, take a pair of visegrips and clamp the out flow hose after the pressure regulator. Install the fuel pressure tester. Turn on the key. It is simple. If you have fuel pressure, it is the regulator. If you don't its the fuel pump (see below).

A common problem is the short hose from the pump to the mounting ( inside the tank). It splits or comes off, yielding virtually no fuel pressure.

This "outflow hose" that you speak of...

Where exactly is that? There is a steel line leading into the regulator on the right side (when standing in front of the Jeep)...the regulator plugs directly into the fuel rail in the rear middle, and then there is a tiny hose on the left side of the regulator...

Is that tiny hose the "outflow hose?" I thought that was air or vacuum or something. Reason I thought that is becuase when I uplugged it, no fuel poured out like it did other places. Or maybe it is an air hose? I guess you never specified what flows out of the "outflow hose!"

Thanks for the help so far Old Man...we are just about there!

Back