• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fried 2wd aw4...4wd swap?

rredalty

NAXJA Forum User
The trans in my '91 210Kmi cheep daily driver went out on me today and I'm wondering if I would be better off finding another 2wd trans or buy a rusted out '92 4wd with 104Kmi on it for $550 and swap the parts out? What would you do beacuse this is my daily driver. Driving chopped and doorless in the rain is not something I'm looking forward to.

What's it doing? The AW4 is pretty robust and the problems are often not mechanical. Have you eliminated an electronics problem by pulling the TCU and checking that it shifts manually. With the fuse pulled, you should get 4th gear in OD, 3rd gear in D, and 1st in (1-2).

I dont get the part about chopped & doorless, but the swap seems like a good idea for that price. You could then keep the rest of the 92 XJ parts as spares or part it out to get your money back.

Back