• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airbox warped and fubar, alternatives

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
I don't want a gauze filter on there. The stock air box is all warped out of shape and not sealing anymore.

Years ago I remember reading about using some type of paper cone filter off an import car, but can't seem to find anything about it in the search.

Also saw the solution gojeep came up with, but looks like the parts might be pricey.

Any airboxes from other rigs that can be gotten at a salvage yard?

forgot about no sigs now.

89 with 4.0L

I have looked at the few ones in the yards here, all seem to suffer the same symptoms as mine.

Acually used large wire ties and did this a few years ago. It has expanded to far the long dimension now. If they would just make the sealing surface a hair larger on the filters.

I had a thought I might be able to use the stock filter housing off my 93 dodge cummins if it will fit.

You know ... I put a K&N filter on my '91, and it seems to be a little too short on the long dimension. I compared it to the old filter, and the old filter was longer.

I assumed the K&N was the wrong size, but is it possible my airbox is warped also?

Hope this isn't hijacking ... pretty much the same subject.

montanaman said:
You know ... I put a K&N filter on my '91, and it seems to be a little too short on the long dimension. I compared it to the old filter, and the old filter was longer.

I assumed the K&N was the wrong size, but is it possible my airbox is warped also?

Hope this isn't hijacking ... pretty much the same subject.

I think the K&N is simply sized poorly, mine is short in the long dimension also, I've heard this complaint before as well.

kevin s said:
There are plenty stock air boxes sitting unused in garages

amen, i've got one from an 88 and an 00 you can have for the low price of............shipping!

Between everyone on here there are prob 1000 sitting in garages.

Back