• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axle ratios

TGFH

NAXJA Forum User
I was told on another thread that all 5-speed 4.0 Cherokees have the same ratios. 3.07 - BUT - when I bought my 1995 I was told it has a limited slip - is that possible? And would it still be a 3.07? Is there a simple way to tell without opening it up?

Last edited:
TGFH said:
I was told on another thread that all 5-speed 4.0 Cherokees have the same ratios. 3.07 - BUT - when I bought my 1995 I was told it has a limited slip - is that possible? And would it still be a 3.07? Is there a simple way to tell without opening it up?

Check to see if the tag is still on the diff cover. It should have the ratio and indicate if you need the special additive for a limited slip. If it's a Dana axle, you can get the BOM number off the tube and look it up here. http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?DSD~deabill~4~ On the rear axle, I believe the number will be on the passenger side tube facing the rear. It should look something like 605728-1.

the ratio is stamped on a metal tag attached to 2 of the cover bolts. the LSD tag will be a smaller one attached to a bolt on the other side generally. and IIRC the LSD equipped XJs had a warnign sticker inside the glove box. and yes, you will have 3.07s regardless of the LSD.

Back