• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Question

Cherokeelaredo

NAXJA Forum User
If you were to remove either one of the two components and replace it with a straight pipe, for best sound/performance improvement, which one would it be?
Please don't just say neither, just pick one, hypothetically speaking.

A) Catalytic Converter
B) Muffler.

I had an s-10 blazer that I cut the cat off. I was replacing the intake manifold with one that did not have emissions therefore eliminating the need for 02 sensor and all that good stuff.

For the 2 weeks I ran the stock motor without the cat it ran rich and wasted gas. The Cat heats up the 02 sensor so it starts working and your jeep won't run well without it.

That being said... get rid of your muffler and put a cherry bomb! The cat should give you the necessary back pressure. I have a 40 series flowmaster and I don't think i would want it any louder (ie glasspacks).

Jeep914x4 said:
I had an s-10 blazer that I cut the cat off. I was replacing the intake manifold with one that did not have emissions therefore eliminating the need for 02 sensor and all that good stuff.

For the 2 weeks I ran the stock motor without the cat it ran rich and wasted gas. The Cat heats up the 02 sensor so it starts working and your jeep won't run well without it.

That being said... get rid of your muffler and put a cherry bomb! The cat should give you the necessary back pressure. I have a 40 series flowmaster and I don't think i would want it any louder (ie glasspacks).
you said eliminating the need for a o2 sensor. thats why you wasted gas. the o2 sensor controls the fuel flow to the fuel rail. with out it the comptuer doesnt know what to do. and to the thread starter. i would get rid of the cat and just throw on a delta flow flowmater 60 series with a turn down

Open headers or stacks coming through the hood. Will that be loud enough. :gee:

I ripped my exhaust off wheeling and the exhaust just ended at the downpipe. It sounded absolutely awesome and you should have seen the look on the few ricer people's faces that got showed up by an XJ. I drove arround for 2 weeks like that and gas mileage was worse than my Grand Wagoneer's.

Gained some considerable top end power but by that point the exhaust was way too loud. A buddy of mine just put a Flowmaster Hushpower 2 on his RE 4.0 XJ w/stock cat, sounds alright but not loud enough for my liking.

I'm replacing my stock muffler with a glaspack in a week or so...Anybody else have a 4.0 w/a glaspack? like it?

BTW-Get rid of the muffler :)

Cherokeelaredo said:
If you were to remove either one of the two components and replace it with a straight pipe, for best sound/performance improvement, which one would it be?
Please don't just say neither, just pick one, hypothetically speaking.

A) Catalytic Converter
B) Muffler.

Depending on the year I'd remove the cat pre 96. OBDI you can remove the cat, OBDII will give a CEL. You might install a O2 eliminator/simulator for the second O2, but I'm note sure on that. Some cars can some can't.

i'm running a glasspack that dumps out over the axle, it sounds good not allot of muscle sound but its deep. i just bought a 40 series to put on, after i put the glasspack on my gas milage went to hell and i have no top end power, it runs at about 3500rpm @ 60mph my motor is alreghty shot so i don't know if its the glasspack or the motor i'll find out when i put on the 40 series. i though it was from the loss in back pressure.

Cherokeelaredo said:
Although I appreciate your stories and feedback, most of you are not answering my Q.

So far, I have one person telling me to get rid of the car, and one of the muffler.

you asked and that's what you get, a bunch of OPINIONS!

If you just want it loud put a strait pipe on it or a turn down just after where it broke off. If it's 96 or later you will have to deal with the CEL, when you remove the CAT.

It's not that simple to answer, because both are necessary, but if I had to pick one to eliminate it'd be the muffler. The stock muffler is the most restrictive of the two.

A better solution would be to replace the muffler with a performance type muffler, rather than a straight pipe. This would give the 'best' sound, not necessarily the loudest.....party1:

IMHO, straight pipes in anything less than a V-8 will have some lawnmower sound to it, and at least at most rpm will sound ridiculous.

You really need to have some sort of device to tune that noise, turbo muffler, resonator, etc, if sound is what you want.

I, and others, laugh our heads off at fools with 4 cylinder imports that have a straight pipe replacing the mufflers or big Fart Pipes on the end of the tailpipe.

If you see people pointing and laughing as you drive down the street, don't say you weren't warned.

Louder only impress's the ignorant.

If you want noise, probably removing the muffler would be the loudest. And probably a smaller fine when you get busted. The patch pipe, probably costs just as much as a cheap glass pack.
If you want performance, try one then the other and see what performs the best. My guess is they would both perform worse, unless your looking for top end (80-100 MPH plus).
IMO, I have a 1 7/8" restrictor between my downpipe crossover and cat and will beat you stop light to stoplight most every time (I know enough not to mash the gas pedal all the way to the floor and default to open loop and/or force the tranny to downshift, the extra torque from the restrictor kicks in just were you need it). Or if you have an HO, will only loose by a few feet, depending on how good you can drive and/or shift.
A cracked exhaust manifold has a pretty nice rumble to it.
If you already have your mind made up, why ask for oppinions?

I haven't made up my mind? WTH are you talking about?
Like I said, I just find my magnaflow too quiet, and I am not forking out more cash for another one, where I can save it and buy a locker or something more useful.

I would remove the cat. I put a straight pipe on my 93 and it sounds good. The Kenne Bell website says that removing the cat on a Cherokee adds approximately 8hp.(kennebell.net/techinfo/dodge-jeep-chrysler-/jeep40tech.pdf) I don't think it's that much, but I could tell a difference. You could just try it and If you don't like it, put your cat back on.

Last edited:
lilredwagn said:
Cat and muffler won't do jack for performance. If you want noise and performance, it's time for a header.

AMEN the restriction from the manifold will still be there, and thats the biggest
slow down on your exhaust.
Header, then might aas well get the whole thing built at an exhaust shop with a high performance muffler. dependign on how much wheeling you do. it probably doesnt have to be tough.

Back