• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapped in a Dana 44 today--need some help

xjaholic

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped in a Dana 44 today but my rear driveshaft is too long, so I took it off so I can get it cut tomorrow. I put the transmission in reverse and had it in full time 4 wheel and slowly started to back out of the garage. I heard a pop, or more of a bang. Now when I try to go into foreward in the auto it won't go into gear. It definately sounded like the sound was from the rear of the Jeep. Trying to figure out if having the front driveshaft on, but the rear driveshaft off was the cause of this. When I had the Jeep at the gear shop, it did the same thing in the shop with the front driveshaft off but the rear on. (I had the Dana 44 in the back of the Jeep and installed it at home) Will putting the rear driveshaft back on tomorrow solve the issue? I have an AW4, 242, Non Disco Dana 30, Dana 44, factory front driveshaft and a rubicon express rear driveshaft. Any idea would be welcomed.

Last edited:
I don't think you can run in fulltime 4x4 without a rear driveshaft. without the driveshaft all the power would take the path of least resistence and go out the back of the case, the yoke with no shaft. Try putting it in part time 4wd high and see if that works. My old j10 with the quadratrac threw the front drive shaft once and wouldn't move until it was in emergency drive which locked it's center diff. I hope this helps.

My guess is that the power goes to the rear first to get the vehicle moving, then goes to the front. This would explain why it won't go into drive in 4H or 4L. I am sure that once it gets the other driveshaft on, it'll be okay (At least I hope so). Maybe the loud pop was from the locker disengauging in reverse?

sounds like a stuck broken NP242. what were they doing at the shop to make it pop. a locker woulndt pop from you rolling straight back, esp with no rear drivetriain connected to it(unless some body f'd up a gear job)

I have been in that exact situation with the rear DS off and the front connected, same setup, NP242 in 4 full time, only I didn't have any pop or anything like that, I just didn't go anywhere....the rear output on the tcase just spun since i was in full time. Shifted into part time and drove away just fine.

I don't think the cause of the problem was not having a rear DS attached. That said, I don't know what the cause is either...

Id probably say the pop was from the locker, Use part time and good luck steering with a front locker in FWD, it might handle a bit differently hah a

creeperjeep said:
Id probably say the pop was from the locker, Use part time and good luck steering with a front locker in FWD, it might handle a bit differently hah a

The locker is in the rear...

PAPXJ said:
The locker is in the rear...
still think it was the locker,have fun steering read too quickly

Skyjacked;
I had Kuwait isnt great, but I decided I like Kuwait, I just hate the base in Kuwait. The city is pretty cool, The DoD just blows

Back