• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Question

91-98would be the best choice, in 99 they chenged the head makin it more restrictive to pass emitions.

Is there anything I would have to change over on 96 and up? Will my bolt on's such as the starter, altanator, distributor, etc... work with the 96 and up engines? Thanks

imthehink said:
Is there anything I would have to change over on 96 and up? Will my bolt on's such as the starter, altanator, distributor, etc... work with the 96 and up engines? Thanks
they 96through 98 will be fine, they may have some diffrent sensors but aslong as you transfer stuff from your old motor you will be fine

imthehink said:
What years of the 4.0 (auto) engine will fit a 93 Cherokee? Thanks.

Any engine from '91-'98 would do fine, but I'd go for a '96-'98 version. These have the fixes that DC introduced to reduce NVH, a reprofiled cam for more torque at lower revs, and have the 0630 head that matches the 7120 head for flow.
Avoid the '00 version because a large number of engines built in that year suffered from cracked heads.

Back