• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Headliner and Wires?

SCscoutguy

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys I havent been a member here long but I you have already helped me a bunch. I did a search and could not find the answer to my question so here it goes. I have a 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0 AT and it was broken into yesterday. They broke out the back passenger side glass to get into the truck. After searching here I found out glass from a older model XJ would work so I went to the JY today and got a new piece and it went in fine and is working well now. Now on to my problem. The truck had a flip down DVD system in it when I bought it and it was stolen along with the cd player out of the dash (see pictures below). I am now left with a big gaping hole in my headliner with a bunch of wires I have no idea what they are. I grapped the group and when two of them touched together my doors locked and then another two blew the horn? My airbag light came on in the dash when two of them touched then went off and now my check engine light will not go out. Could these wires of gone to a factory overhead console maybe? I really need to get a wiring diagram to find out where these go and what I need to do to fix this. Also obviously I need a new headliner and I was hoping to snag one out of a 97-02 XJ and just replace it because it would have to the rear speakers built into it as well. Does anyone see a problem with this plan? Again thank you guys for all the help you have already given me and I look foward to becoming a active member of this forum. Semper Fi, John
It apears I cant post pictures here so I will just copy and paste the link to the URL so you guys can see what I am talking about.
Here is the broken window http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5738/breakin1iy.jpg
Here is the new window I put in today...
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/717/imag00023wg.jpg
and finally here are the wires in question...
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/817/breakin37di.jpg

If your Jeep didn't come with the overhead console you will not have any of the wires there for it.
Some of the wires you have will be for the keyless entry system. The horn chirp is also a feature of the keyless entry. Other wires will be for the dome/map lights.
Make sure you aren't seeing any wires from the CD/DVD/Video setup that once resided there.

Keep in mind when replacing your headliner that only a 98 or early 99 will be the correct color as yours. Most 99's and all 00 & 01 will be a much lighter shade of gray than your 98. 97s, although the correct color do not have the speakers molded into the headliner, they have a separate "speaker bar" like the 94-96 XJ's. There were no 02 XJ's.

Thanks allot for the information. It apears like you said that there was a keyless entry module on the roof and they tore it off when they took the flip down dvd screen as well. It looks like I am going to have to find a 98-99 XJ in a junkyard somewhere that will let me pull the parts. Most junkyards around here will no longer let you pull your own parts and having them pull them costs a bunch of money. I guess I will have to pull the keyless entry module off of the donor truck as well so I can get this check engine light to turn off on my dash. Once again thanks for all the help and anyone else who wants to chime in please do, I could never have to much info when working on something I know nothing about.

Back