• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling system question, should I worry?

adam.gutt

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I pulled the lower heater off the heater core. I heard some suction and coolant draining from somewhere in side the engine block. I put the hose back on and now it seems to run about 10-15 degrees hotter than usual. Did I create an air bubble in the system or something? Please help! I'm concerned about the cooling fan burning out as it's running all the time now. Thanks in advance!

Adam

Did you mean to say you pulled the lower heater HOSE off the heater core?

I'm assuming your reconnected it (If not, you've found your problem)?

How many warm-ups/cool downs have you done since this? It will take several for the coolant recovery system purge the air out and replace it with coolant. This is assuming you have a Conventional Open Cooling System.

Have you looked for leaks, starting with the hose you disconnected?

Yeah, I put the hose back on there. I'm not leaking coolant anywhere... I've probably warmed it up and shut it off about a half a dozen times since then. It's a 99, by the way, Just to clarify which cooling system I'm talking about.

Have you opened the pressure cap (with the system COLD) and looked into the radiator and see if the coolant level is right up to the very top. If theres air in the system, the coolant level won't be up to the very very top, there will be some AIR in the radiator. If so, there is probably something wrong with the coolant recovery system, either the valve in the presssure cap, the tube to the coolant recovery tank, the tank itself or there is a leak in the system.

I've just replaced all those pieces, in an attempt to fix my heat... they should be fine. I'm going to try an burp the system and see what happens. I'm sure it's just air.

Back