• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Pads

In my own opinion, Ceramic pads are more expensive and have lifetime warranty's because they wont get destroyed. Instead- they are a tougher material than your rotor so the rotor will wear down and then you'll be out some cash trying to get that replaced. I have never had any trouble with metallic. Be careful though when you take off your caliper, I stripped out a hole on mine last time and had to repair with a heli-coil.

Ceramic is the brake pad of the future, but remember, thats why they call it the future, because its not today.

The Ceramic Pads are suppossed to supply the same or better braking performance, with no noise and almost no dust. The ceramic material should stand up to heat much better, so less problems with heat damaged brakes.

BUT, I keep seeing reports of people having problems with Ceramic Pads, the pads cracking or the rotors warping and developing hot spots, OR the rotors wearing down way to fast. Some people say they never have a problem and the ceramic lives up to the claims of no noise and little dust, while others do have those problems.

My guess, the ceramic technology isn't fully developed yet and the ceramic pads can't stand up to abuse, they'll do just fine if you drive like a little old lady, but your thrashing brakes, the ceramics won't hold up. Nor is the rest of your brake system designed to work with ceramics, under extra stress the different ceramic material may tear up the rotors.

I'd stick with good quality semi-mettalic pads. In a couple of years, when I start hearing more good things about them, I may try some ceramics, until then, I'll stick with the technology the rest of the brake system is designed for.

93XJMan said:
What is the diffrence between Metallic and Ceramix brake pads. Which would be the best?
Sorry, just in case my prevous post wasn't what you are looking for.

There are almost are NO metallic pads, Semi-Metallic the pad material is made up of varous materails including a portion of Metal fibers mixed in. Ceramic, a majority of the pad material is made up of ceramics.

I have a set of Performance Friction carbon metallic pads on my XJ and they're fantastic. Lots of stopping power with little or no fade under hard braking.

also remember, ceramic pads need to be warmed up first before you can even get decent braking out of them. IMO, unless you that little extra ounce of braking, semi metallic pads are just fine for us

Back