• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BEFORE and AFTER...

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
...A snow adventure. At 8:00 am, Ken (IMORTL) wanted to know (dumb question) if I was up for a last minute snow run. By noon we were on John Bull, running it backwards. We decided to skip Holcomb creek, not wanting to chance some very off camber sections in the white stuff. Snow depth varied from spotty to ~18", depending on the elevation and whether we were on the Northern or Southern side of the mountain. Drifts on the other hand would sneak up and swallow a person. Things went rather well, but there is still a chance for (I hope) worse conditions (at night) next weekend. Ken had to head home after JB, I went on and ran Gold Mtn. North to South, towards Baldwin lake. There was snow falling for about half of GM, and for most of the drive back down the hill.

BEFORE, at the fire station in Fawnskin.
RunwithImortl011.jpg

AFTER, where Gold Mtn. exits on the back side.
DSC02540.jpg

Good thing Ken used the winch, :roflmao: that dent could have been ugly!
RunwithImortl034.jpg

Gravity sucks...
DSC02489.jpg

DSC02512.jpg

...XJs!

Looking back at the East end of John Bull.
DSC02535.jpg

Here are the rest of my pix.

TIM

Last edited:
What a Great Day! I wish I could have run Gold Mtn... but as it was I didnt get Home until 6:40... It was Coming Down Hard on 330... Traffic was at a dead stop at the 330 - 18 split... So I took the 18 down... about 50 ft visibility most of the way until the 2 lanes started...

Here are a few of my pic from the Day:

Tim Flexing Early

100_4522.jpg

SSSSCCCCCRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPE!!!!!

100_4524.jpg

The Scraper...
100_4527.jpg

Fresh Powder
100_4535.jpg

Very Peaceful
100_4547.jpg

Rocks a'la Snow
100_4553.jpg

Through the uprights
100_4565.jpg

Going
100_4581.jpg

Going
100_4582.jpg

Flexing
100_4583.jpg

All the Rest

Don't you guys have my number? You suck...I could have been there in a flash...okay, a very slow flash. :(

Kejtar said:
I almost called you up to find out if you're up for another run today..... Why oh why can't we have 8 day weeks with 3 day weekends? I need an extra day to catchup on stuff!

Thinking about doing it again this next weekend, at night. Wanna go?

Kejtar said:
You know what... it is very tempting! Fri night? or Sat night?

Saturday night. Black diamond trails T.B.A.
Plan for getting stranded.

:D
TIM

Kejtar said:
What time you wanna meet and where? Oh yeah.. I'll be installing additional lighting before Sat ;) :D

I'm thinking 5pm at the dump. John Bull and then Holcomb. Because of the two really off camber areas of Holcomb, a winch will have to be a requirement. I can see it taking two lines per rig to get through, especially the upper area where the trail hair pins in that little stream.

Bent said:
I'm thinking 5pm at the dump. John Bull and then Holcomb. Because of the two really off camber areas of Holcomb, a winch will have to be a requirement. I can see it taking two lines per rig to get through, especially the upper area where the trail hair pins in that little stream.
So how 'bout directions to the dump? I kind of know where its at (past the tree with shoes on the left?).

Kejtar said:
I kind of know where its at (past the tree with shoes on the left?).

Correct, except the shoes are gone now. The "landfill substation" is on Holcomb Valley road off of Hwy 18 (mile post 58.15) on the NE end of Baldwin lake, which by the way is a lake these days. There is only one way that you can turn onto Holcomb valley road, err, two if you want to use your snorkel. I dont have one, niether does John, we'll be on the pavement.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=big+bear+ca.&ll=34.293282,-116.813335&spn=0.00398,0.008368

I would LOVE to, but i dont think I will have the parts to fix my XJ in time for Saturday...

That would be the only thing stopping me from going...

Ken

Back