• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing ignition cylinder

BrianG

NAXJA Forum User
How do I do this? Do I need any special tools for this? Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Just did it on my '90,should be similar.You need steering wheel puller,lock plate compresser,phillips head and new cylinder.Take off wheel and lock plate ring and take out screws that hold down turn signal dont need to take off turn signal arm.If I remember right you push in a pin to release cylinder and slide in new one and you also have to take off hazard switch.Check your book about whether key needs to be in the on posistion when installing ,cant remember.When tightening down screws for turn switch dont torque them down all the way,they dont work that way.I got ignition switch hooked up and screws tightend up and backed them off until turn signal,hazard,dimmer all worked properly,youll see when you tighten them down too much those things dont work right.About 45 min with proper tools.Good luck !

My 89 had a Torx head screw holding the cylinder in. Once it comes out, the cylinder will slide out...

Ditto, plus there is a lock ring that you will see when you get the lock plate compressed enough that takes two small screwdrivers or similar tools to get off. Helps to have three hands. If someone tells you that there is a special tool for this...there probably is.

AutoZone has the steering wheel puller & compressor for "free" loan.

It's not really too hard at all.

Back