• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod coversion?

1987jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Who has the tie rod conversion kit by Rustys? Even if you don't do you like the design and functionallty it's supposed to have? Dou you like it for those who have it? I'm thinking about it because I have roughly $200 to spend. Any ideas for spending that $200 or maybe a little more.

Splurge, and get an over the knuckle - you wont be disappointed!
Rusty's tie rod set-up is better than stock, but it doesn't do much for your angles, and you will still get bump steer, and possibly death wobble. Not to mention, if you do wheel your XJ hard, you still have a good chance of bending the tie rod. His kit uses 1" tubing, which is rather small as far as steering conversions go, and if I remember correctly, the kit goes for about $250. Hope this helps

Theres a guy on marylandcreepers.com selling a used phatjeeps steering conversion....uses heims.... just a thought.

I had it on my first XJ (still have it in the garage), it sat at 4.5-5". I thought it worked well, seem to do OK. Nothing heavy with it, so I have no experience with it on rocks, just mud/sand/road.

onetonsteeringkitdsc.jpg

Why not do a tie rod flip like I show on my site?
www.go.jeep-xj.info
Like mentioned above, at least this way you get some tie rod angle relief and less steering effort due to that as well.

Back