• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L Exhaust Studs (What Hardware goes with them?)

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
I got my used XJ a couple of weeks ago, the exhaust studs were snapped off already.

I've stripped it down and like I suspected, the studs are broken off inside the head. I'm about to order the parts I need, since the studs were never there, I've never seen any of the hardware that goes with the studs. My sources (parts catalog, Haynes Manual, etc) don't have diagrams or pictures of the studs, and are rather cryptic about what hardware goes over the studs. The diagram in parts catalog has obvious mistakes and missing parts in the diagram.

So, anyone has done this job, or has a 2.5L I4 that they can take a peak for me and verify what hardware is used on the studs.

From what I gather from the listed parts in the catalog;
*2 Studs (Duh)
*2 Nuts (Duh)
*2 Spacers (This makes sense, the holes in the exhaust manifold are much larger than the studs, I guess these are like a collar that fits over the stud and takes up the space inbetween the stud and the larger hole in the exhuast manifold)
*2 Washers? (The parts catalog lists needing 7 washers, well there are only 5 bolts and 2 studs for the entire intake/exhaust manifold. So I'm guessing you use 2 of the same washer used on the bolts, inbetween the nut and the manifold?)

Can anyone confirm, there are the same washers as used on the bolts, used between the nut and exhaust manifold on the studs?

The spacers/washers you're referring to are called Bellville washers. They're saucer shaped (dished) and help to distribute the fastening force when you torque them down.
Like yours, both of my studs snapped off. I replaced the front one with a grade 8 stud from Lowe's (about .45c), and went ghetto and stacked 4 flat washers on it instead of getting the Bellville washer. I couldn't get to the rear stud to drill it out, so it's still MIA, and not causing problems:)
Jeff

and yes, they are the same as the ones used on the other bolts

Back