• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tansfer Case Shift to 2WD from 4WD

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
My 231 transfer case doesn't seem to want to shift out of 4x4 when you are done and I had to take it over 45mph just to get it to disengage. What do I need to adjust to get it to shift in and out correctly?? Thanks

Jeff

I tried the nuetral deal and the fluid is at the correct level. I was told it was an adjustment problem. Where or what should I adjust??

Jeff

ihscoutlover said:
My 231 transfer case doesn't seem to want to shift out of 4x4 when you are done and I had to take it over 45mph just to get it to disengage. What do I need to adjust to get it to shift in and out correctly?? Thanks
Jeff
When you are done with 4WD, put the tranny in neutural, shift into 2WD, shift into reverse, backup a few inches, and proceed in drive. If it does not release, shift into Neutural again, back into 4WD, then back out, back up a bit and proceed normally.

If it didn't release the 1st go, it will on the second.

I won't even touch the driving down the road 1/2 engaged in 4WD at 45mph bit.

Try just lubricating the heck out of the linkages with a good penetrating oil and work them abit to loosen them up. That fixes a number of these cases.

Back