• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear dana 44 write up

Rufio

NAXJA Forum User
i've been searching and have had no luck..... does anyone know of a good rear dana35 to a dana 44 swap?

also does anyone know if 80-88 grand wagoneer dana 44's will fit right in to a 88 wagoneer limited without fab work.

A D35 to D44 swap is direct even the u-bolts are the same.The drive shaft may need to be changed because of a small difference in length.
The early Grand axles are 6 lug and may be spring under(not sure).
Wayne

might require some work on brake lines and such. I'd be interested to hear from someone who has done this as well. I have been considering this as well, as junked Wags are a dime a dozen here. I do know that the later wags were spring over.

Last edited:
Rufio said:
not to sounds like a axle noob (witch i am) whats WMS and you said it's 59" whats the stock length of a xj rear axle?
wms = wheel mounting surface (denotes the width of the axle from side to side). IIRC XJ's are about 61"

ic thank you, if the grand waggy' are 59" and i put it on my limited waggy witch is 61" would that 2 inches pose a problem that i would need to address or would it not be that big of a concern?

Rufio said:
i've been searching and have had no luck..... does anyone know of a good rear dana35 to a dana 44 swap?

also does anyone know if 80-88 grand wagoneer dana 44's will fit right in to a 88 wagoneer limited without fab work.

Rufio, I see you are in Washington. I am in Spokane and have a D44 out of a 87 XJ complete brake to brake if your are intrested pm me.

Back