• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW$ Probs

xj4rocks

NAXJA Forum User
Started the other month when wheeling.

One a long steep grade almost at the top, try crawling over a rock, load up the torque convertor till it's almost up and then "CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK" etc etc. The clicking varied with RPM's I had no go in any foward gear but did have reverse. The clicking would continue in neutral continuing to be varied with engine RPM's.

My first thought was maybe I was low on ATF and wasn't getting enough to the TC. got turned around and got down the hill and then got power for a little while and then lost it again while in the flat section. Same thing "click click click click click click" etc etc.

Found that the ATF was kind of low (quart or so) filled it. Thought I had resolved the problem. Drove fine on the road hasn't made any noise etc, Until last night. Was towing a trailer. Maybe 1000lbs. pulled it up a slight hill up my driveway, and started hearing it click again. Quietly and I still had power in forward and reverse. Unhitched the trailer and backed down the hill. Now it's making a good bit of noise and I don't ahve much forward but still have reverse. Shut it down. Didn't think to check the ATF at the time.

Started it this morning, same noise. backed down the 15ft in the driveway to flat and it quit.

Ideas? comments? suggestions? Is my TC on it's way out? or is it in the tranny itself? I think the tranny fluid is at a good level but i'm not 100% sure, still haven't checked it. Will do that at lunch.

EDIT: Been running Synth ATF. Changed ATF and filter about 4.5yrs ago. (maybe 35,000k miles?)

no when it first happened I lost forward and got the clicking. no matter what forward gear I was in it wouldn't go. only click.

Last night it would go but made a lot of noise. in park or neutral too. Today it made noise till I got on the flat at the bottom of my driveway and was fine the whole way into work (10min drive)

4.5 years with a fluid change is pretty long...too see if there is any problem I would drop the pan tonight when you get home....check for any debris in the pan...silver dust is normal...and be ready to change the fluid and filter, without being therer to hear the sounds its kinda hard to diagnose...this thing is computer driven ...the puter may be faulty?

i guess i'll try and pull the pan. 4.5 yrs with not many miles so it the ATF shouldn't be bad. Doesn't smell burnt and is still red. I have a BIG ATF cooler on the tranny.

I don't thnik it has to do with the computer because it's working great till is seems as though the fluid isn't getting to the TC.

Any other thoughts? I"ll check the ATF level when I'm running around at lunch.

oh yeah, it's a 1988 with 185k orig miles. I don't flog the hell out of the motor. I'm running 33's with 4.56's on the road and 36's on the trail for the last few months.

Back