• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting front driveshaft off

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of removing the front axle to weld some new LCA mounts on and the only thing holding me back is the driveshaft, I can't figure out how to get it off. I figured it might slide out from the middle but their is something holding it in, I would rather not take the u-joints apart but if thats what it will take, then I guess I will. Any help is appreciated.

There are two caps that hold the u-joint to the axle pinion. They use an 8mm head to remove them, and once those are off, the driveshaft comes off rather easily. Don't drop the u-joint caps...

Covered with mud?

Don't forget the other end - 1/2" wrench for those (they should be 5/16"-24.)

Replace all the bolts while you've got them out - it's a funny habit I've got, and cheap insurance to boot. The yoke bolts should be either 1/4"-28x3/4" or about a M6-1.0x20m/m. The bolts from the transfer case into the driveshaft are probably 5/16"-24x1" or so - check to be sure.

Either way, would you let me know what sizes you use, and what year/engine/drivetrain you've got? I'm compiling a list of bolts used through the years...

If the joint at the axle sticks, a long screwdriver passed between the joint centre and the yoke usually serves for that. Have a roll of masking or electrical tape handy (easy to remove) and wrap it around the caps so you don't lose any.

It helps to paint a little Never-Seez on the caps before you put it back in - makes it a little easier for the next time...

5-90

Back